How to Handle....

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Lafont, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Lafont

Lafont Senior member

No question, seeking comments, like a good portion of posts on this enormous forum....

2. Lafont

Lafont Senior member

edmorel and huntsman - I appreciate your kind words. :)

3. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

My favourite part was the horsey set and old money segment.

4. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Brilliant marketing approach on the part of the shopman. Guilt is a powerful tool.

5. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

Next time...cliffs....question?
    Now THAT is a rant.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013

6. HomerJ

HomerJ Senior member

He's been here since 2007.

I'm not sure which Lafont thread is my favorite.

The Tiffany sterling key ring.

The 15 separate threads on his wedding outfit.. well not his but his daughter's.

I'd have to say the cotton sun visor from Ritz Paris.

7. Big Texas

Big Texas Senior member

Yeah, I'm not even gonna try to lie about this: I didn't notice his join date or post count when I first made my comment.

That being said, I'll be sure to check out his oeuvre at this point. If even half of his work is as good as this thread, then sign me up for his newsletter.

8. tubby34

tubby34 Well-Known Member

To be honest, those remarks about "Window Shopping" have always made me feel a bit uneasy. I feel there is nothing wrong with shopping, and not purchasing anything you don't like.

I worked at a local store and my coworker would make these similar comments to customers until one day I pulled him aside and told him how disrespectful it was. I'm 25, he's in his 40's. I feel your job is to provide Customer Service and get them to come back. If they want to buy from you, they will.

A few years back, I worked at a Automotive Place (Firestone, Goodyear, you pick one for setting) and the oil changes were $20. Four times a day a regular would come in only for that discounted oil change and they will take the recomendations we provided to another place to fulfill them. My coworker said the same thing to a guy who had come in for only oil changes for a year (every month or so) and eventually said to him that same "Garden" remark and recommended to actually buy something. He never showed up again.

That customer spent over $3,000 fixing their car with me a few months beforehand- but the bridge was burned.

Maybe you should burn your bridge and move on yourself, or tell the owner what was said. Bottom line, the owner doesn't want his hired help scaring away his money.

9. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

You'red welcome. I visit that fair city whenever I can; it is my favorite city in the U.S. This picture is from my last visit to the fine establishment of which you speak. I had driven a 28 year old Jaguar over 1200 miles to be there. I was trying t take a picture of a the first Bentley Continental I had seen as it pulled out.

[​IMG]

I would have a hard time going back often if my purchases were rare. I might buy some wine or a scarf.

Truth is far, far stranger than fiction.

~ H

10. Big Texas

Big Texas Senior member

Really depends on the situation. If it's a guy who's come in once or twice without buying anything, sure, be nice and don't be overbearing. Hope to convert him into a customer at some point.

But if it's a guy who's been coming in on a weekly basis, for years on end, never buying so much as a pair of socks, I think the shopkeep is well within his right to speak up about it. It's not a museum, after all. There are opportunity costs associated with waiting on people who aren't going to buy anything, and businesses -- especially smaller businesses -- can't afford to treat every customer with the same degree of attention or affability.

Insisting that he buy something or leave is a bit rude, but it's not out of bounds. The better strategy is probably to just ignore the guy (unless he's doing something like repeatedly trying on and handling all the merchandise, or taking attention away from other customers -- in which case, he's actually costing the store money).

11. Lafont

Lafont Senior member

tubby34 - Yes, Thanks. Huntsman, too. In such a setting I make it my business to not keep the salesperson from dealing with others. I don't go every week, by any means. But when I'm in the village I usually go - particularly when I really am searching for something that's in the realm of possibilities they might carry. Actually, I do sort of think of the place as a "museum" - i.e. place where one can see classic, timelss, tasteful, preppy, etc. menswear. The kind of place that tells me in a quiet way what I should be seeking or should find acceptable.

Yes, they have wines and a whole separate art gallery - in the former stable.:happy:

12. Bounder

Bounder Senior member

And the name of this paragon?

13. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Up to the Op - I just didn't want people to think he was trollig. (but if I tell you, you will think were trolling).

14. Lafont

Lafont Senior member

I never know who's participating in this forum so the emporium shall remain nameless. Thanks, Huntsman, for your discretion.:nodding:

15. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

No problems. OP, do you drink cocktails?