1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

How to glue down the leather on the insole of the shoe?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by hobo, Apr 6, 2006.

1. hobo

hobo Well-Known Member

On a pair of Bruno Maglis I have, the leather part on the inside of the shoe that touches your heel ends close to mid-foot, and it goes down to another leather part. The part under the heel seems to be glued down to the front part, and this seems to be coming up, folded back. It annoys me when I wear them and walk.

What kind of adhesive should I use to glue this back down, or how should I fix this? A similar thing is also happening on the side of the insoles of another pair of shoes I have.

2. j

j Well-Known Member

Shoe repair shops have a rubber contact cement they recommend for this purpose. I can't find mine or remember the name, but you put it on both surfaces, allow it to dry a bit, then press them together. I've used it for exactly the same problem on a few different shoes. A tube is like $3-4.

3. hobo

hobo Well-Known Member

Shoe repair shops have a rubber contact cement they recommend for this purpose. I can't find mine or remember the name, but you put it on both surfaces, allow it to dry a bit, then press them together. I've used it for exactly the same problem on a few different shoes. A tube is like $3-4.
    like this stuff? http://www.dickblick.com/zz239/03/

4. j

j Well-Known Member

5. hobo

hobo Well-Known Member

It's this one: Barge All Purpose Cement.

http://www.emocs.com/shoegoo.htm

[​IMG]

I was unable to find barge cement at home depot, target, walmart, ace hardware or michaels. Any other ideas for places to buy it other than ordering online (And therefore paying as much for shipping as for the item)?

6. j

j Well-Known Member

I was unable to find barge cement at home depot, target, walmart, ace hardware or michaels. Any other ideas for places to buy it other than ordering online (And therefore paying as much for shipping as for the item)?
    Try a shoe repair place - my local one has it. Although he is relatively quite well-stocked, I'm sure it's not that uncommon. It's a pretty all-purpose contact cement. A search shows shoe shops, camping supplies, craft and hobby shops stocking it.