• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to get slim, long-armed leather jackets?

swiego

Reaction score
This has been a perennial struggle for me.

My general dress shirt size is 16.5 collar, 37-38 sleeves (toward the latter) and a fairly slim fit. For the most part, I'm able to find long-sleeved dress shirts in these sorts of sizes. Sweaters are harder but can be done. Suits and sport coats are quite easy - they often come with long sleeves to be tailored down.

But leather jackets - never. I sometimes can get a XL-T size with sleeves that are long enough, but I'd need to put on 50 pounds to fit the chest and especially waist area. I've been to dressy places and the sleeves never go long enough. I've been to "big and tall" places and where leather jackets of any style are concerned, they're usually "big -and- tall." The best luck I've had is a single jacket that fit from a Wilson's Leather. I don't know how good that brand is regarded here but at least it fit.

Anyway. I was hoping to connect with anyone else with a similar challenge and see if they had suggestions.

Kohan

Reaction score
I have a similar issue, and I've been told here and elsewhere to go MTM for items like that. I'm looking into a leather jacket right now and that's my plan, because with such irregular measurements we end up settling for less-than-ideal fits. There are a couple of sites frequently mentioned on SF that will do custom leatherware, a search or so may point you in the right direction. The cost doesn't seem too extravagant, and IMO it's worth the extra green for a great fit.

Where on earth have you had luck with sweaters and dress shirts?? That's been my biggest problem...

CrocsRock

Reaction score
I'm sort of in the same boat. In the market for a leather jacket, but very difficult to fit. One jacket might fit in the torso, but be completely off in the shoulders, or fit perfectly in the shoulders, but be too slim in the midsection. And forget finding a jacket with sleeves that fit (since I'm 6'8" and finding *anything* with sleeves that fit can be a chore at best, and a nightmare most other times). Made-to-measure is a route I've considered time and again, but keep having to put off what with the decision to go back to school. That said, I might just splurge and go for a MTM leather jacket. There are a couple places that'll be mentioned again and again, and the top three are generally Aero Leather, Schott, and Vanson. I'm personally about 95% settled on an Aero. From what I understand, the folks over there are very patient, helpful, and accommodating.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Custom. Even as a relatively normal-proportioned medium size guy, if I wanted to have one really good jacket that fit perfectly, I'd never expect to get it off the rack. A MTM or custom leather jacket from a leather maker is only a couple to a few hundred dollars more than a stock sized one, and you can get all the details/pockets/etc that you want to have. If it becomes your favorite jacket or a signature piece, isn't it worth a bit extra? Think of the expense of the jackets you buy that almost fit and then don't wear very much. Just don't buy those and the money you save is there to spend on the custom one.

Reaction score
I was in the same boat and am expecting an order from aero this week. Just for the particulars, I am also 6'8'' with a 40 inch sleeve and an 18 neck. I have somewhat the same problems as the OP. To get the sleeves long enough, I swim in the jacket. I generally wear a 48 jacket and 35 pants. I will try to get some pictures up when it gets here.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Keep us posted. I have a 14.5" neck and 36" sleeves. I bought a medium-tall black leather jacket almost 20 years ago and lived in the thing for about a decade and a half. I love it so much that when the collar frayed I had an alterations tailor turn the collar over so I could wear it for another 10 years. Meanwhile, I've spent the past 3 years looking for a version in brown, without success (The company that made my black jacket is apparently out of business).

Since finding the forum, I have jackets and suits custom made, shirts MTM, and find that sweaters are usually made with longer sleeves, so a small usually fits me. But leather jackets are much harder to find. Tailors who make suits and jackets work only with wool, not leather. So I'm very interested in learning about the experiences of others, especially how makers of leather jackets would get the sizing right (self-measuring?).

Cid

Reaction score
I have a custom made Cascade model leather jacket from Langlitz Leathers in Portland, OR, that was my father's motorcycle riding gear. Sounds like the sizing is in line with the OP's needs. I find the styling of most motorcyle leathers... er, something else, but not the Cascade. Might also be worthwhile to ping Langlitz a pricing inquiry.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Longest sleaves in RTW outerwear that I have seen : Costume National.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads