• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How To Get Rid of an Accent?

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks I am going check a few of these links out. I like J's especially. I may post a before and after eventually.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've always found it interesting to see how quickly an accent recurs. My speech has taken on some of the Scandinavian tendencies ridiculed in Fargo, but when I go to visit my kin I find that within a day or so some of the twang that used to dominate my speech has crept back in.

Spilotro

Reaction score
I'm fighting a battle every day to suppress my hick accent.

Enzo

Reaction score
Embrace it, it sets you apart from the rest of the masses. Don't worry about offending people, if your sincere when you speak people won't think you're mocking them.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I've been told that I have a very "American" accent by people from other countries. Especially Aussies/Kiwis.

I find this highly amusing.

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With most accent's I've noticed, it's certain sounds an syllables that stick out and can be noticeably different more than others. Ask some close friends the most obvious inflections stick out when you speek. Maybe start with 2-3 of these and conciously think about the proper pronounciation of these. This may take some weeks of months until you no longer have to conciously correct yourself on these. From here come back and ask the same friends if they notice any other small subtleties in your speech and repeat the process.

Ex.) I have a friend from India seems to have a knack for subbing "z" sounds for "j" sounds, so Enzyme will sound like Enjimes, ect. I know what he's saying, but it you notice it when you stop to think about it.

Habits take a long time to form, so it makes sense that they take a long time to be corrected. All in all, don't worry about it too much, but you could make it a long term deal to work on.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
some people say i sound marsupialed.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The life of the wife is ended by the knife.

- Stewie Griffin

Seriously, though, I think you should absolutely not have an issue with your accent. It is a major part of who you are and I feel that trying to remove it is a betrayal to yourself.

modsquad

Reaction score
Erdawe has a good idea. It's my impression that most dialects of a given language are characterized by just a few sounds, probably vowels, that are pronounced differently than the standard. Don't try and revamp your speech entirely, just concentrate on those. Get a book or two that shows you the position of the lips, tongue and jaw in the dialect and in the standard and do the exercises to alter your pronounciation. It's a physical change, just like any other workout.

i don't have any specific book suggestions, but you might try a book that tells actors how to make various accents and dialects and work backwards.

thoran

Reaction score
well you can over come this problem easily by watching hollywood films and concentrating on there accent.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads