1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

How to get over a break-up?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by VMan, Apr 29, 2004.

1. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

im in a long distance relationship with my right hand.

im in one with my left hand

You guys should get together one day

2. Matt

Matt Senior member

and give each other the clap

3. Berticus

Berticus Senior member

I haven't personally seen or experienced a long distance relationship that worked out. However, my sister has. In fact one of her friend's parents were in a long distance relationship for many years and they ended up marrying each other. One of her friend's is currently in a long distance relationship. I believe they've been together for a while now and are thinking about marriage. I think she might've said that one of our uncles was in a long distance relationship and married our aunt, but I don't remember. If that's true, then it's an uncle that I pretty much never see.

Anyway, after reading the original post, I thought I'd share something. I currently have four simple rules of life:
    1. Never whine, only take action
    2. Never take any irreversible course of action without thinking of, and accepting, the consequences
    3. Never do anything you'll regret
    4. Do what you like without being afraid of judgment

Rule number 3 has more wiggle room than you may initially think. There's the first obvious interpretation which is as you see it: don't do anything you will regret in the future. And then there's the other interpretation, which is if you do something that's not 100% agreeable, don't dwell on it, but take as many lessons as you can from it.

This may sound very insensitive, but I would also like to point out the BIGGER picture. In the end, things tend to work out. While it may suck that you're not with the girl that you have great feelings for right now, there are many opportunities still available. Another girl will come along who is just as good, or quite possibly even better. That's just always how it works. Earlier you realize this, faster you can move on.

4. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

The sound of one hand clapping?

5. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Very often, the very reason for the distance is what makes long-distance relationship fail.

I've experienced that once and I really thought I was going to marry the girl. But she decided not to come with me to NYC when I got into grad school. I think I (consciously or not) resented that decision throughout the remote relationship. I imagine the fact that I decided to leave for two years was the beginning of the end for her too.

So.... VMan, how are you feeling now?

6. spacemanvt

spacemanvt Senior member

I haven't personally seen or experienced a long distance relationship that worked out. However, my sister has. In fact one of her friend's parents were in a long distance relationship for many years and they ended up marrying each other. One of her friend's is currently in a long distance relationship. I believe they've been together for a while now and are thinking about marriage. I think she might've said that one of our uncles was in a long distance relationship and married our aunt, but I don't remember. If that's true, then it's an uncle that I pretty much never see.

Anyway, after reading the original post, I thought I'd share something. I currently have four simple rules of life:
    1. Never whine, only take action
    2. Never take any irreversible course of action without thinking of, and accepting, the consequences
    3. Never do anything you'll regret
    4. Do what you like without being afraid of judgment

Rule number 3 has more wiggle room than you may initially think. There's the first obvious interpretation which is as you see it: don't do anything you will regret in the future. And then there's the other interpretation, which is if you do something that's not 100% agreeable, don't dwell on it, but take as many lessons as you can from it.

This may sound very insensitive, but I would also like to point out the BIGGER picture. In the end, things tend to work out. While it may suck that you're not with the girl that you have great feelings for right now, there are many opportunities still available. Another girl will come along who is just as good, or quite possibly even better. That's just always how it works. Earlier you realize this, faster you can move on.

how do you do something you know you will regret until you've already done it and realized it was the wrong move?

7. thinman

thinman Senior member

You guys should get together one day
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Thanks Matt, you've made my day!
    have you guys ever seen a long distance relationship ever work out? fuckin stupid of me to think it would work.
    I know of only one, but I don't think it was a continuous relationship. Guy went to Europe for a year and then came back. They've never gotten married, but have lived together for 25 years. After about 20 years, he was able to start introducing her as his wife (They're both good friends, but he was a real a-hole about this). Edit: So, Vman, gotten over that break-up yet?

8. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

Isn't it supposed to take twice as long as the relationship lasted to get over someone?

VMan, I'll check in with you in April 2009.

9. spacemanvt

spacemanvt Senior member

i thought it was half the time?

tho im approaching 2/3rds of the relationship and am starting to let go. eventho i have my relapses into... why why why?

and wanting to call her and cry.(that rhymed)

10. West24

West24 Senior member

and all this time i thought we were all friends! i hate you guys!! ahhh![​IMG]

11. thinman

thinman Senior member

Isn't it supposed to take twice as long as the relationship lasted to get over someone?

VMan, I'll check in with you in April 2009.

I'll look forward to the thread revival....or perhaps it will still be on page 1.