How to get over a break-up?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by VMan, Apr 29, 2004.

1. VMan

VMan Senior member

I'll give you guys a little update:

I've been trying to keep busy here - I figure that's the best way to take my mind off of things. I came home from school this weekend to take care of some things, but it has been a little boring and therefore I find myself missing her. We talked for two hours on Thursday night when she called. That kind of made me feel better, but also made me re-think things. She also called today and emailed me, though she got mad because I guess I was holding her up.

When I talk to her, I forget about all the bad things and think that I'm making a mistake.

Anyway, I've been keeping busy like I said. On about 15 minutes notice, I decided to go visit my friend up at his college last night. Didn't meet many girls though.

2. kabert

kabert Senior member

2-1/2 years is a long time for a college-age relationship. But you probably are missing out on lots of fun. Plus, and most importantly in my view, you mentioned that she said things to you that were essentially personal attacks. Not things that are changable, but things that are unique to you. Those are the worst, most hurtful kind of attacks.... Sounds like it's really time to move on.

3. spacemanvt

spacemanvt Senior member

i just wanted to say I am going through a break up right now and this thread was really good to read.

thanks for everyone who wrote something in it.

4. sanrensho

sanrensho Senior member

My 2 cents...

1. Watch "Swingers"
    2. Listed to Tom Leykis (just for entertainment value and to put women in perspective)
    3. Exercise/work out

5. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

Talk about a thread revival.

6. jyook

jyook Senior member

Man... The OP should already be graduated by now... Also if he isn't over it by now, he needs psychiatric help...

To the reviver of this thread:

The two things that I kept hearing that I hated hearing was "Time will heal all wounds.." and "It's better to have loved and lost than to have not loved at all..."

Everytime I heard those, I wanted to punch the speaker in the face... Fact is, those statements are very very true...

Have faith that given enough time, you will look back at this relationship and think, "What was I thinking going out with her??"

7. antirabbit

antirabbit Senior member

V-Man,
    Next time I have a show with my band, you can come down to Chicago and be the groupie net for me and a couple other guys that are in relationships.....that will get you through for a an evening.

I found (Ive been married for 10 years) that when times are rough, it is a great opportunity to work on the rough spots in my life.
    After one particularly difficult time in my marriage I decided I was sick of being heavy for my entire life and lost 70 lbs.
    At other times I focus on my music, or on my last rough time, I learned everything I could about fine fragrances....
    Delve into life and you will heal.
    I am so sorry to hear of your troubles.

8. ltontheqt

ltontheqt Senior member

I didn't read all the responses, so if this was covered I apologize. You are going through what one of my friends once described as "open heart surgery." The first time around, what worked for me was a trip. Change your environment. I went to visit a friend who lent a sympathetic ear. It's hard to understand when you're down and out, but, believe me, there is more than one potential mate in life. Wait it out and keep yourself open. Or, for that matter, decide you don't care; sometimes things happen when you don't give a shit. Worked for me. And remember, it's OK to feel bad for a while. I mean, what can you do?

9. ltontheqt

ltontheqt Senior member

Never mind. My Dr. Phil spiel is outdated. I see that this occurred several years ago. You are undoubtedly in good stead by now. I'll let my advice stand as retroactive to anyone who needs it.

10. forex

forex Senior member

this is outrageous,how can anyone love a woman more than suits,shoes,shirts or ties[​IMG]
    this thread is irrelevant and love is bullshit![​IMG]

11. VMan

VMan Senior member

LOL this thread is way old, I don't even remember how many girls back she was

12. Matt

Matt [email protected]

Jon. Her name was Jon.

13. VMan

VMan Senior member

Jon. Her name was Jon.
    [​IMG] thanks for bringing that up, now you got me missing jon's nice smooth body

14. VKK3450

VKK3450 Senior member

LOL this thread is way old, I don't even remember how many girls back she was

Quoted for truth

truth man

truth

K

15. VKK3450

VKK3450 Senior member

^^ for all the SF kids that ever ask... Ask Vman... he doesn't even remember how many girls back she was

K