• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to get onto a Board

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am not bragging at all. It is all really in jest, hard not to get that really. You tend to like to pick on me a lot, which is ok. All is fun. I do want to get on a board though because I want to do more with my life than just my job and hobbies and whatnot.

Don't mean to pick on you more than anyone else, for what it's worth.

Anyway, how does just being on a board translate into doing more with your life? I mean, unless you find participation in that form of social/bureucratic structure as fulfilling in itself.

The associated decorum and sense of power or stature could be fun, which is fair enough. But I associate "doing something with my life" more with dedicating oneself to a cause that one cares about (which can be done in ways that include board memberships, but the order tends to be cause -> board rather than board -> cause).

Maybe a win-win for you would be to figure out which causes you care about, get involved, and show your passion and committment. You could get invited through that route, or start your own organization for the cause. I'd rather be a board's "mission" guy than its accounting guy...

(This has likely been suggested by others already)

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Don't mean to pick on you more than anyone else, for what it's worth.

Anyway, how does just being on a board translate into doing more with your life? I mean, unless you find participation in that form of social/bureucratic structure as fulfilling in itself.

The associated decorum and sense of power or stature could be fun, which is fair enough. But I associate "doing something with my life" more with dedicating oneself to a cause that one cares about (which can be done in ways that include board memberships, but the order tends to be cause -> board rather than board -> cause).

Maybe a win-win for you would be to figure out which causes you care about, get involved, and show your passion and committment.
You could get invited through that route, or start your own organization for the cause. I'd rather be a board's "mission" guy than its accounting guy...

(This has likely been suggested by others already)

I am actually working on this right now. Also, I found that a lot of causes and such aren't looking as much for volunteers as they are employees. This is good for some people, but I am not considering it as an option for me.

chedoumaile

Reaction score
I just want to get involved in using my skills to benefit other areas/industries/communities. FWIW, I have a technical background.
13.gif

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
:fu: My girlfriend was asked to be on a board today!!! She's getting further with my goals than I am!

lovesteveme

Reaction score
Some business owners may figure that the board depending on whether if it is not for profit etc. is a good avenue to branch off in a side enterprise of sorts
OwbqLi

Last edited:

dohare

Reaction score
i'm on the board for a local non-profit preschool/day care...went there as a kid, got invited to join the board during college. i'm 22, been a member since 20. really small non-profit, $80-100k revenue per year. but they have little financial acumen on the board, its a great learning experience/resume booster. its just who ya know.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The fact that you stayed in touch with your daycare center through college boggles my mind.

dohare

Reaction score
It helps my mother was on the board previously so I wouldn't say stayed in touch haha

Khayembii Communique

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Currently my board is going through a really cool strategic planning process, basically reassessing the mission statement and goals of the organization as we haven't really provided a clear/consistent focus for our purpose for existing, which has caused some problems due to the ambiguity. Fun process, but I have a feeling it's going to create some conflict and we might lose some people based on which directions we decide to lean on some issues. We're basing the process on Being Strategic by Erika Anderson, a wonderful little book. I'd recommend it to everyone here, and even anyone interested in being involved at higher levels of any organization.

Also just started my work related to chairing one of the committees. Really excited to move forward with this.

Someone on our board works at a F500, and I just happened to find a job at his company, in his division, that I'm interested in. He's going to get me in touch with the hiring manager. Another perk of doing volunteer work. :slayer:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ok, so a board reached out to me to be on it. I was all like, hey, it is about time, they must be super smart to want me on their board and I jumped at the opportunity. Well, holy ******* **** this is a lot of work. I thought it was going to be about sitting in a mahogany room, at a mahogany table, in a suit drinking coffee and "gobble, gobble, gobble, very good sir!" and all of that, but no, it's like a full time job plus I need to fundraise, which I have no experience doing so I have no idea where to start with that. **** me. I think I have to start a thread, "How to Leave a Board".

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads