1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

How to get onto a Board

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by patrickBOOTH, Sep 24, 2013.

1. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I am really smart, have an awesome mind, and sick skills. I want to be on a Board. Unpaid is fine. How do I get on a Board? Do I have to be invited? Can I audit Board meetings of not for profits? How do I do this? I want to get involved in other entities besides my company.

2. VaderDave

VaderDave Senior member

I have an interview tonight for a board position on a foundation that was recently created to help with fundraising in our community services district. In this case, the district announced the creation of the foundation and solicited applications from community members.

3. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I'm on three, and in each case I was invited to serve.

4. Distorbiant

Distorbiant Senior member

Are you board material?

You don't choose the board. The board chooses you.

2 people like this.
  5. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  6. Distorbiant

Distorbiant Senior member

Please keep this wordless pessimism out of this discussion.

1 person likes this.
  7. jasonmx3

jasonmx3 Senior member

I'm on two, and on both occasions, I was nominated by an existing member and was asked to signify my intention to join the board (submit CV, etc.). They then voted and confirmed my appointment.

8. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

If you join the board you have to make sure you are not too involved, and that your own business comes first. Some business owners may figure that the board depending on whether if it is not for profit etc. is a good avenue to branch off in a side enterprise of sorts (through new relations made being one).

Also, may I ask why you are adamant about joining one?

9. crosswound

crosswound Senior member

Illuminati? I can only think this is pb's target in a secret message but where's the window?!?

1 person likes this.
  10. Kai

Kai Senior member

I've served on a couple of boards. In both cases, I knew other board members professionally, and was asked to join.

It would help if you have accounting or other professional financial experience, as such folks are in demand for board committees (audit, compensation)

11. patrickBOOTH

I am more than board material. I just want to get involved in using my skills to benefit other areas/industries/communities. FWIW, I have a technical background.

12. smoothmoose

smoothmoose Senior member

What is the your current capacity at your company? I must say, every time I read or post on this board, I feel like I'm slacking from my work or other life responsibilities. How do you find time? Unless you the work in the fashion or clothing industry...

13. patrickBOOTH

I have no problems doing everything I need to do.

2 people like this.
  14. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

give them an enormous amount of money

/thread

8 people like this.
  15. patrickBOOTH

That works in most of life's situations, doesn't it? :confused:

16. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have some experience with non-profit boards. Easily 80% of the members--and ALL the chairs and vice chairs and people with power--are the biggest donors. Then you have a scattering of people who are there because of their name, they bring some presitige and/or visilbilty. These people never do any work. Then an even smaller number of people who actually have direct expertise. I gather that you want to be one of those. Well, do an honest assessment and figure out what you can actually contribute and start working with some group. Perhaps after years of unrenumerated toil someone will ask you to be on the board, in which capacity you will have to accept even more unrenumerated toil, and possible liability issues.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  17. patrickBOOTH

Yeah, I think I need to start seeking out more professional groups and such. I have connections to one overseas board that I think I can wiggle into, but ultimately I think I need to get myself out there more.

To you last three words: D&O Insurance.

18. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

In nonprofit charity boards you give them money to work for free and hit your friends up for even more money.

3 people like this.
  19. ltontheqt

ltontheqt Senior member

Manton and Poorsod speak the truth. In my albeit limited experience, there is not only the expectation of a gift of some size but a requirement, if not in writing than by agreement, that members make gifts at a certain threshold. Without that, you ain't getting on.

20. patrickBOOTH

I don't see how this just isn't being a "volunteer". Many non-profits have employees, volunteers, and separate boards, which advise strategic decisions. I guess strategic decisions aren't worth anything with some $$$ backing them.