How to get my ass motivated to get in shape?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by 89826, Nov 30, 2014.

1. 89826

89826 Senior member

Suggestions?

2. markhealy2014

markhealy2014 New Member

Think about why you want to get motivated, if it is for yourself you will reach your goal, if it's cause others tell you then you prob won't. Take the leap that's right for you find joy in an exercise program for me was fitness classes, they got me hooked! The interaction the music other like minded people.
    By finding enjoyment it will make you want to keep at it.

3. clotheshorse69

clotheshorse69 Senior member

Have you ever been regularly physical? How much time do you have to dedicate a week?

4. LeatherBoot

LeatherBoot Senior member

Having a personal trainer works the best for me. Even if it's only once a week. Diet is the hardest part though....if you need to truly change your diet it can be helpful to have a friend on the same diet for support and accountability until it becomes second nature.

5. Tck13

Tck13 Senior member

Just do something that you enjoy. Fun and enjoyment are great motivators.

6. rohde88

rohde88 Senior member

Sports. Competition and wanting to be a winner.

Ultimately, its something that you need to think about a long term goal that will motivate you instead of short term hopes.

7. 89826

89826 Senior member

Used to be super fit before, last century :) Have lots of time to dedicate.

8. 1911

1911 Member

Start very small. Like five pushups a day. Promise yourself to increase by 1-2 reps a day. This creates a sense of suspense and wanting to do more each day.
    It worked for me.
    As for competition, I second that idea. My use of the stairs in my apartment building evolved into training for competitive stair runs - I've done three so far,
    going for a fourth in just a few weeks.

9. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

this.

obv also depends on your definition of what is "in shape" but I also strongly recommend taking up activities you enjoy.

10. Gingahbman

Gingahbman Senior member

^^^^ +1. It's what helps you keep doing it after that 3 week, 4 week hump.

11. mrsam88

mrsam88 New Member

If you don`t want it bad enough (which I am assuming you are not since you are posting here), get a personal trainer or a buddy to motivate you and keep your ass in gear. I found that relying on my own "motivation potential" was never enough, sadly...

12. enjoiii

enjoiii Senior member

I got into pretty bad shape as my love of food and drinking outweighed my desire to look good (which was one of the major reasons I wanted to be in shape). When I found something physically demanding that I loved doing (hiking, climbing & mountaineering) which I completely sucked at to begin with due to being out of shape - it became much easier as I had a good reason to get into shape and I could see improvements in my performance in the mountains.

I also found getting into a routine that works for you is very helpful:
    -I always eat very similar things 80% of the time (bring lunch to work also)
    -I am able to workout at lunch at work so I workout Mon, Wed + Friday every week with weekends in the mountains.

13. benjclark

benjclark Well-Known Member

Like someone said: A routine is a net to capture your day. I've gotten out of my routine (new lady, new job, new state, new house, new baby...) and need to get back on it, so I've been looking back and reflecting what worked in the past.

For me, I shocked myself with enjoying running! I *hated* it as a youngster. When I was more active, I ran at least 3 miles, 5 days a week. I also kept registering for little runs -- 5Ks here and there, that way I always had a reason beyond myself and my personal satisfactions to stay motivated. I was "training" for the next race, which was always X weeks/days away. When I didn't have a race, I'd slack.

14. pravda

pravda Senior member

There is no better motivation for me than being able to wear Tom Ford and Cuccinelli. Keeps me on Paleo, in the gym and avoiding carbs

15. Mildly Consumptive

Mildly Consumptive Senior member

Set some goals. Make them specific and measurable. Make them related to a sport you play. What's that? You don't play a sport? Time to start.

Once you've got some goals, then make a plan. Once you have a plan, just follow it.

If you don't know anything about sports, exercise, or training. Then you'll need to read a couple books to start.