• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to get good fit for trousers

john405

Reaction score
I can't be the only person with this issue.
It seems that every otr trouser doesn't fit well. And I am not talking necessarily the waist\inseam, it's mostly the rise\crotch area, especially when you sit.

I wish the standard cut of pants would be at least mid-rise with a bit more room in the seat.

OTR slacks\dress pants are the worst. Most brands are shilling these low rise pants which fit okay when standing but are constrictive otherwise.

The best fitting pair of pants I own was a pair of dockers I purchased on sale, it was a larger\classic cut (baggy fit). I happened to take it to the tailor's where it was pinned to my size, and it fits remarkably well. Sits on waist, fits well in seated position too.

I am coming to the conclusion, that if I want pants that fit, I have to buy them up a size in length\waist and commit to having them tailored to fit.

Is this a common thing? I have many pairs of jeans, slacks, etc.. none of them feel comfortable only the othersized dockers that i had cut to shape. I think the standard pattern for OTR garments is false and not meant to fit anyone well, I cant be the only one.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're not the only one. Most OTR trousers don't fit well, especially if you happen to be a non-standard size (either fitter than usual or less).

Some brands do fit better than others, however. A large part of it is research into the line's target audience - who is this designer trying to fit? You'll usually find that any given retailer, by and large, will have an average person in mind that they tailor towards, and that will inform their general measurements. This is why some people are attached to certain designer brands over others, because they provide a fit that suits them particularly. This also goes for mid-range retailers, of course, just not to the same extent.

Personally, I only get a really great fit with tailored trousers. A few brands are good enough that the deviations from perfect aren't deal-breakers, but they have to make up for it in other ways. Most modern trousers don't have a high enough rise for me either, and in that case I simply don't buy them.

Last edited:

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are your dimensions?

many brands will produce different models and while the differences may seem marginal, those may mean the difference between a proper or lousy fit.

john405

Reaction score
Well I've tried several lines of various run of the mill brands for both casual\business wear. I lean towards an "athletic fit" i.e. 33" waist 32" inseam, but that depends on where the pants sits on my waist\constructed.

Like for casual wear jeans (Levi's) none of them fit well. Their 541 is the only kind that fits decent.

I'm not saying I couldn't wear these pants, Im just searching for the highest level of comfort (no tightness in areas, and decent range of motion) without spending a bunch of money.

Right now, i think the best strategy is to buy whatever pant i want in a much larger size, take it to the tailor and have it hemmed, waist taken in, and tapered to fit.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics