• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to get food stamps?

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
In most/all states, food stamps are not "stamps" or coupons. They load them onto debit type cards. Only the cashier and an eagle eyed patron behind him in the line at the grocery store will ever know, as far as "society at large" goes. This was done to remove the stigma you indicate. See how well that has worked?

My main point was the welfare office workers treat applicants like dirt, generally. Funny considering these low level functionaries are usually not far-removed from circumstances generating a need for benefits such as food stamps. Someone on food stamps is often going to be on some other type of public benefit that isn't so neatly concealed on an EBT card, and therefore, generally speaking, foodstamp recipients deal with stigma on a daily basis, whether directly a result of foodstamps themselves, or from their dire circumstances generally. Sorry I wasn't clear.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The food stamp program has been running radio ads for the last couple months here. They sound like used car lot ads.

[Man's voice] "It's called SNAP, the new food assistance program. You may be eligible."

[Woman's voice] But what if I own my own car?

[Man's voice] You might still be eligible!

[Woman's voice] Even if I own my own home?

[Man's voice, patient tone] Yes, even if you own your own home. Check our website for more details!

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The actual text is of course much better than my recollection:

Music underneath
MALE ANNCR: (clears throat) The following message is from the U.S. Department of
Agriculture. Did you know millions of Americans with low-income can get help buying
food? Introducing SNAP. It helps you eat right when money’s tight… (10)
MOM: Wait. Excuse me! Did you say SNAP? (2.5)
MALE ANNCR: (taken out of his rhythm) Uh, yea. SNAP is the new name for the federal
Food Stamp Program. Lots of people with low income qualify for SNAP but don’t know it.
If you qualify, you‘ll get a card you can use to buy all sorts of foods, including fruits and
vegetables. (10)
MOM: (joking) A card? Like one you swipe and goes (makes sound effect) beep? (3)
MALE ANNCR: (laughs) Yes, that’s right. (Resumes announcer tone) SNAP offers help
to all kinds of people… (4)
MOM: So, wait… can I be eligible if I have a job?
MALE ANNCR: Yes.
MOM: But what if I have a car?
MALE ANNCR: Well, you may still qualify....
MOM: But … I own my own house. So can I still qualify?
MALE ANNCR: (laughs.) Yes, you might. (8)
MALE ANNCR: Ok. (announcer tone) To learn more about SNAP, call … (3)
MOM: Hold on. Let me get a pen. (2.5)
MALE ANNCR: Ok. (understanding laugh) Call 1-800-221-5689. That’s 1-800-221-5689.
SNAP. Putting healthy food within reach. (12)
MOM: Hey, thanks!
MALE ANNCR: You’re welcome. (2)
http://www.fns.usda.gov/FSP/outreach...terruption.pdf

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ama
One can make themselves seem categorically eligible while in fact being very far from it. See: tax shelters, family foundations, etc. Making oneself appear to be eligible would really not be terribly difficult. The government lacks the resources to be exceedingly thorough enough to find out. That is no fault of the government either. As you said, I believe that food is a basic right and the government should not be looking for ways to deny benefits to those who on a prima facie level deserve them.

The main issue I have with this thread is the OP's sense of entitlement and misunderstanding of the appropriation of tax dollars. He intimated that he desired to get food stamps because he was entitled due to his years of paying into "the system," I and a few other posters take issue with that.

As to your second point, that is correct, there is virtually no way of knowing who is using food stamps and who is using a credit card. That is a good thing.

I do not think a sense of entitlement is lacking in the general population of people that recieve foorstamps. If a sense of entitlement is to be a criterion of disqualification, I think the rolls would drop materially overnight!

I guess one could go to the efforts you list to become eligible. Somehow, I don't think most people (read: any sane person) would go to such lengths. YMMV.

FYI, I don't agree food is a basic human right. Then again, I have a far different take on this than most people. /shrug

Originally Posted by Ataturk
Watch for somebody who runs two cards.

Usually they buy some things that aren't food-stamp eligible, so they'll have to run a second credit or debit card to cover the balance.

Learn something new every day. I've gone soft since changing zip codes I guess.

Originally Posted by 83glt
My main point was the welfare office workers treat applicants like dirt, generally. Funny considering these low level functionaries are usually not far-removed from circumstances generating a need for benefits such as food stamps. Someone on food stamps is often going to be on some other type of public benefit that isn't so neatly concealed on an EBT card, and therefore, generally speaking, foodstamp recipients deal with stigma on a daily basis, whether directly a result of foodstamps themselves, or from their dire circumstances generally. Sorry I wasn't clear.

It's so hard to tell what your main point is when you present two items equally in the same sentence. I really don't know how welfare office workers treat people, except for what I see in the media. I will bow to your superior on this topic.

I completely agree, that if welfare office workers are treating recipients like dirt, they need to move along and try and find a job in the private sector. Only would a government office treat their customers like crap and never expect any fall out.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do not think a sense of entitlement is lacking in the general population of people that recieve foorstamps. If a sense of entitlement is to be a criterion of disqualification, I think the rolls would drop materially overnight!

I guess one could go to the efforts you list to become eligible. Somehow, I don't think most people (read: any sane person) would go to such lengths. YMMV.

FYI, I don't agree food is a basic human right. Then again, I have a far different take on this than most people. /shrug

Perhaps I should have been more clear. Some people feel a sense of entitlement because they feel they have been dealt a bad hand in life and the govt. owes them something. They are probably wrong for the most part, but their circumstances don't show that. The OP's entitlement seemed to stem from the fact that he paid for other people to eat all these years and now it was time to get his. I vehemently disagree with this attitude.

Making ones self seem eligible does not require herculean efforts, just a little knowledge of finance and accounting. Food stamps would save a person thousands of dollars a year and the effort is probably well worth it.

I apologize if I tried to put words in your mouth or intimated that you believe it is a basic right. I don't agree with you, but that is ok.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Here's the FDA link (they administer the program) as to how much someone can recieve in benefits:

http://www.fns.usda.gov/snap/applica...pients/BEN.HTM

People in Household Maximum Monthly Allotment
1 $200

2 $367

3 $526

4 $668

5 $793

6 $952

7 $1,052

8 $1,202

Each additional person... $150

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Here's the FDA link (they administer the program) as to how much someone can recieve in benefits:

That's the federal benefit. Do some states offer additional money? I don't know, but I imagine they do.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I buy EBT cards on occasion, from what I image are drug addicts. Mostly I pay $75 for $200 worth of food stamps, occasionally I pay as little as 50.

Mr. White

Reaction score
I remember when guys would approach me in supermarkets and offer to sell their book of food stamps for some ridiculously smaller amount of cash. Probably to buy diapers or gas or cigarettes.

Anyway, since nobody really answered the question, I asked a social worker friend about it. She said that San Diego County gives only 10% of the Federal food aid that it should be distributing. That's an outrage. She said that automatic checkout machines at big supermarket chains such as Walmart or Albertson's never have any problem with the card, but that manual processing by checkout clerks most often results in denial. They either were never trained properly by management, or they were told by supermarket managers or took it upon themselves to make EBT users go away.

She also said that full-time students aren't eligible for food stamps, and that you'd have to work more than 30 hours a week to qualify for Medi Cal. Since many full-time or near-full-time workers have some sort of medical insurance plans available at work, and since earning that much money severely reduces the amount of food stamps one gets, the eligibility rules are a shameful hypocrisy intended to prevent students from receiving any food or medical aid. She said that demographics clearly show "depression pits" of poverty in census tracts near many public colleges and universities. For this reason, income demographics are usually adjusted upwards to ignore actual hunger among students.

Anyway, as you can see, I got an earful.

Now, armed with this information, you can go on to receive....nothing.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CunningSmeagol
So I don't work anymore because I went back to school, and my gf is doing the same. I figure that since we don't have jobs we qualify for food stamps. Does anybody know how to get them? I live close to City Hall. Should I just walk in and ask?
Use the internet to find out if you are eligible for food stamps ... as well as how to go about getting them. If you are eligible ... don't hesitate ... go for it.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
Use the internet to find out if you are eligible for food stamps ... as well as how to go about getting them. If you are eligible ... don't hesitate ... go for it.

I tried that. SF's resident hall monitor, apropos, got upset with me.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jpeirpont
I buy EBT cards on occasion, from what I image are drug addicts. Mostly I pay $75 for $200 worth of food stamps, occasionally I pay as little as 50.

This is exactly why I maintain people should just be given money. They could buy far more drugs that way, if this is their personal economic calculus.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is exactly why I maintain people should just be given money. They could buy far more drugs that way, if this is their personal economic calculus.
I always wanted to own a drug store ... and put a big neon sign out front ... Drugs, Drugs, & More Drugs!

If the California mj initiative passes ... perhaps I should open a produce market and do similarly.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CunningSmeagol
I tried that. SF's resident hall monitor, apropos, got upset with me.
If you are going to let that stop you ... you don't deserve food stamps!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads