• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

how to get alden plain toe blucher at lower price

LRMD

Reaction score
I need to get myself an 8.5 color 8 alden plain toe blucher. I want a durable shoe to wear around the hospital - in the clinic, floors, and sometimes the operating room. It's going to get beat to hell, so I don't need it to be new or perfect. I really don't have 600 bucks to drop on it.

How do you recommend finding this cheaper, and in somewhat decent shape?

LRMD

Reaction score
Guess I could get AE Leeds but prefer the Alden color.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can get them from Brooks Brothers on sale for 25% off. Alternately (if you really don't care about the quality) you might be able to purchase a 2nd quality shoe from shoemart for around $400.

LRMD

Reaction score
I care about the quality, just don't mind if they are slightly worn and not brand new.

LRMD

Reaction score
Noticed the BB one has different lace holes - reinforced with metal. Is that the only difference? I'm not sure if I like it better with or without metal at the lace holes. Curious what other people think about this feature. BB cordovan blucher can be found here: http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...&sectionsize=# and the Alden here: http://www.theshoemart.com/alden-men...LAID=534237460 Also wondering if the straight tip blucher would be a better everyday burgundy shoe than the plain toe. http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...&sectionsize=#

Reaction score
The other difference with the BB PTB shoes is that it does not have fudge welting. I own both the BB version and the regular Alden version (in cigar and whiskey), and I like the metal eyelets. The cap toe shoe is dressier. Not sure how it looks without a tie.

cimabue

Reaction score
I like the Brooks Brothers suggestion. Catch a 30% off sale, open an account and get an additional 15% off! The BB model doesn't have the so-called Storm Welt and looks a little sleeker than Alden's standard model, important for an otherwise rigid looking shoe, unless you like the cop look. I may well get BB's plain toe if it's available in brown (cigar or whatever) and not that dreadful pinkish burgundy or black. Please let us know what you end up with and why.

LRMD

Reaction score
I actually like the Alden burgundy (color 8) and this plain toe blucher (in the Brooks version) is one I am considering buying. I do like the cap toe (cordovan leather straight tip on BB) and have a hard time finding a reason to buy the blucher over this. Compare #1 http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...y&sectionsize= With #2 http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...y&sectionsize= In what situations is the blucher better? For some reason I really like how the cap toe / straight tip (#2) looks. If I was going to wear jeans, I would wear a wingtip. If I was going to wear a suit or wool pants, I'd pick the straight tip over the blucher. I do like the metal lace holes in the blucher, though. The only thing I'm really set on is the burgundy. You think it's a dreadful color, really? The burgundy Alden's I have seen seem darker and more of an eggplant color compared to the redder AEs. I'm surprised to hear such a harsh criticism. Do you like the AE burgundy better? Do you like burgundy shoes at all? I think they are extremely versatile and I get a lot of use out of them because they match so many colors and outfits. I am not trying to be defensive or disagreeable at all - I'm very interested in hearing more opinions on this shoe color and the burgundy shades offered by various brands.

cimabue

Reaction score
I tried on the shoes you're looking at my Brooks Brothers. They're very comfortable. Get 'em both 'cause you need rotation, right?

The only thing I didn't like about the shoes was the color: blotchy bluish-brown with rose madder undertints. Maybe polishing would have evened them out. I got the feeling they were really old stock and fading.

Hey doc, cordovan may be the best choice if you're suffering the occasional blood spatter?

Brown is more versatile, though, in my opinion.

Good luck!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads