• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

how to fold a pocket square

Willem

Reaction score
When you fold a pocket square, you can show the hand-rolled edge or not. (tv fold). Which option is preferred?

Szeph el raton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I prefer a messy, puffy "fold". It looks better to me if it doesn't look planned or like I've spent time to put it there but just "threw it on". With silk, of course.

stant62

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Willem
When you fold a pocket square, you can show the hand-rolled edge or not. (tv fold). Which option is preferred?

It depends. If it's a square with contrast edging, I would prefer to show the edge. Otherwise it doesn't matter.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Szeph el ratón
I prefer a messy, puffy "fold". It looks better to me if it doesn't look planned or like I've spent time to put it there but just "threw it on". With silk, of course.

I think that is why 99.9% fail at the pocket square (including SFers). You have to know how to fold a square in order for it to look good/un-planned. Same as you don`t just wrap a tie around your neck and hope it looks good.

up1bin

Reaction score
I definitely prefer to show the rolled edge on a TV fold. It adds some texture and depth to an otherwise minimalist fold.

If not, then sometimes it can look like someone just stuffed a folded piece of paper in their pocket.

Szeph el raton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dragon
I think that is why 99.9% fail at the pocket square (including SFers). You have to know how to fold a square in order for it to look good/un-planned. Same as you don`t just wrap a tie around your neck and hope it looks good.
Oh, there is a plan behind it. It involves a fold and a twist and gives me always the same result... if not, I just do it again and again and again until it is the same result.

Just putting it in without care will make you look like ... well, what Dragon said.

suitsusid

Reaction score
i think it doesn;t really matter...i have never really paid attention to it...i'v just checked mine today and i do have the edges showing!! must be the way i just automatically fold my PS...

aKula

Reaction score
I have the hand rolled edge on top but I usually angle one corner up rather than using the tv fold.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads