• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sfnapolifan

Reaction score
i got caught in the rain in a pair of snuff suede alden chukkas a couple weeks back in nyc (live in san francisco and forgot how unpredictable east coast weather can be). they looked/felt a little worse for wear after drying out, so i tried brushing them with a nylon-bristle suede brush bought from the alden shop on madison avenue. don't really know what i was hoping to accomplish by doing this, but it appears that brushing the suede raised the nap so that i now have rather "hairy" suede chukkas, for lack of a better term.

anyway, they don't look terrible, but i certainly prefer the way they looked previously. is there any way to restore the shoes to close to original condition? shave the nap? press it down somehow?

thanks for any advice on this.

Oyaji

Reaction score
You can softly burn the hairs and rebrush them.

NumbersNZ

Reaction score
I have seen Jason Markks (sp?) cleaner do wonders on various materials, not sure about this though but maybe worth a look.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would you post some photos please? I've never seen hairy suede before.

sfnapolifan

Reaction score
http://blog.rodengray.com/wp-content...3/DSC_0820.jpg

nope, too lazy. it is an effect a bit similar to what you see here (found via a google search, one that shouldn't be performed at work, btw, at least not with safesearch off). given the snuff suede color of the shoes in question, the effect is actually a bit more pronounced, with the "hair" appearing significantly lighter than the background suede, if any of this makes any sense. anyway, this isn't what i had hoped to achieve.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you have some nappy headed shoes.

chrisb0109

Reaction score
I have you seen the electric shaver type things meant to cut pill off of a sweater?

I imagine that would work.

Racing Green

Reaction score

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I washed my suede chukkas once, they definitely came out less hairy. All in all no problem.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads