• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 4: Goodyear welted shoes from Cobbler Union

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 4th auction is for a pair of Goodyear welted Shoes from Cobbler Union. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

How to find a good hair stylist?

amdi8

Reaction score
I've always gone to regular barber shops to get a plain haircut, but now I'm interested in sprucing things up a bit.

In particular I'm looking for someone who can recommend a good hair style given my hair and preferences, as well as maintenance tips, etc.

So, how do you go about finding a hair stylist? Are there online resources for that? Local recommendations? I'm in North County, San Diego. Looking at yellow-pages brings up mostly lots of women's styling salons.

raley

Reaction score
I would ask around for recommendations. Maybe ask some girl-friends? I got a recommendation from a friend (male) to a salon and tried out a few different people there, and finally found someone I liked.

mbc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by amdi8
I've always gone to regular barber shops to get a plain haircut, but now I'm interested in sprucing things up a bit.

In particular I'm looking for someone who can recommend a good hair style given my hair and preferences, as well as maintenance tips, etc.

So, how do you go about finding a hair stylist? Are there online resources for that? Local recommendations? I'm in North County, San Diego. Looking at yellow-pages brings up mostly lots of women's styling salons.

If you are willing to drive down to La Jolla, Mia @ Atelier Aucoin on Girard always did a great job with my hair.

mayonaise

Reaction score
As a hairdresser I believe the best way to find a good hairdresser is asking people who you think have great hairdos. Even stopping someone in the streets (if you aren't shy)! That way you can give someone a compliment and maybe get good advice at the same time. That's how I would do it.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mayonaise
As a hairdresser I believe the best way to find a good hairdresser is asking people who you think have great hairdos. Even stopping someone in the streets (if you aren't shy)! That way you can give someone a compliment and maybe get good advice at the same time. That's how I would do it.

Excellent idea.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had good luck using citysearch. You can go check them out and see what kind of shindig they are running too. See how people's hair turned out as they leave. I have yet to really tweak my hairstyle.

Going into some of those places and seeing guys with severely balding hair getting their hair manicured is interesting. With a good hairstyle you don't even really notice that they are almost bald.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 25 3.3%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 131 17.2%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 248 32.6%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 119 15.7%
  • 31 - 40