1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

How to dye a LEVIS ?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by ernest, Nov 14, 2004.

1. ernest

ernest Well-Known Member

One of my two jeans has been bleched by mystake = it has several white marks.

It is possoble to dye these marks with some product?

2. Alex_O

Alex_O Well-Known Member

White marks are in, just throw some paint on them and you are set to go clubbing. [​IMG] YAAYYYY

3. ernest

ernest Well-Known Member

I guess I will have to dye my dark blue jean into black as blue will look cheap. I let you know...

4. stache

stache Well-Known Member

Best bet is to use Rit color remover (is this available in France?). Once you get a more even "white" to the garment, the overdye will look less spotty. This happened to me several years ago. The dyer stripped the jeans and then redyed them but honestly I was not thrilled with the result. Part of what I like about denim is the color change between the warp and weft threads.

5. Renault78law

Renault78law Well-Known Member

That's a good point. Also, if you dye the jeans, you'll lose any contrasting stitching, right? That may look strange.

6. ernest

ernest Well-Known Member

(stache @ 15 Nov. 2004, 05:37) Part of what I like about denim is the color change between the warp and weft threads.
    That's a good point. Â Also, if you dye the jeans, you'll lose any contrasting stitching, right? Â That may look strange.
    I agree but if I dye in BLACK it will be like a BLACK jeans which as no contrast

7. j

j Well-Known Member

It's likely the thread won't take the dye anyway.

8. ernest

ernest Well-Known Member

Why?

9. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

Because the thread is often cotton with glace finish, which is considerably more difficult to dye than the soft, uncoated yarns used for the jeans.

10. j

j Well-Known Member

The thread is made of different material than the fabric of the jeans, usually some synthetic blend. The dye you will be able to use will be a weak type meant for dying natural fibers. The thread might take some of the dye, but for the most part it will probably not, as your dye is not meant for synthetics. In any case, I'm not sure how well "home" dye will work on jeans- I haven't had much luck with it myself, but maybe I didn't do it right.

11. ernest

ernest Well-Known Member

It's likely the thread won't take the dye anyway.
    Because the thread is often cotton with glace finish, which is considerably more difficult to dye than the soft, uncoated yarns used for the jeans.
    My is jeans...

12. ernest

ernest Well-Known Member

you are talking about the sewing threads?

Ok.

I know, it will stay orange I guess like before dying