• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to drink bourbon as a beginner

mrgoblueguy

Reaction score
I was given a bottle of Makers Mark today an don't drink much bourbon. I usually sissy out and add a mixer. How should a beginner drink it? Neat, on the rocks or with a splash of water? Thanks guys!!!

ClambakeSkate

Reaction score
rocks. Makers is very sweet, good for a beginner.

giraffe lookout

Reaction score
Love this question. You admitted to not being that into bourbon so I'm going to go ahead and suggest maker's and ginger ale. In my mind this is "how to drink bourbon as a beginner." I know plenty of people that have been drinking this for years.
cheers.gif

Biscotti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Basil Hayden's imo is the best gateway bourbon as it has less of that 'medicine' taste too it. On the rocks, let the ice melt a little bit to dilute it before drinking. This is how I started with bourbon, now I love it, couldn't stand bourbon when I was first introduced to it.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Probably rocks or with a bit of water.

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Conne's favorite recipe:

Step 1 - pour 1.5 oz of bourbon in a glass
Step 2 - add 5 more oz of bourbon to the same glass
Step 3 - drink
Repeat as necessary.

But seriously, try taking very small sips of it by itself or on the rocks.

Opermann

Reaction score
On the rocks is good. The ice will melt and water it down, bringing out the taste/smell nuances.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I often recommend Evan Williams as a starter bourbon. It's a prototypical bourbon, not surprising, since they're the first distillery that made the stuff. And it does well in blind tests against stuff twice the price.

Then pour, and sip. Rocks if you haven't done any straight liquor before, or perhaps as a cocktail like an old fashioned or a manhattan. Eventually, you'll want to move to the nice snifters and drink it warmed in the palm of your hand, straight. Or at least, you'll be able to do that.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I ve been trying to get into scotch/whiskey/bourbon myself. Here is how i've been doing it.
1. get a whiskey glass full of ice
2. add 1 - 2 fingers of bourbon/scotch/whiskey
3. once 1 - 2 fingers is becomes tolerable and enjoyable
either begin with an extra finger of alcohol or less ice

hope that makes sense and works, ideas is to eventually drink it straight or with a few small pieces of ice
Enjoy!
PS: good scotch, not too expensive (about $25) = Glenlevitt 12

Johnny Amiga

Reaction score
While not exactly what you asked for, I'd strongly also recommend trying out the Old-fashioned cocktail (for which Makers works very well). http://www.esquire.com/features/drin...?click=main_sr I used to drink only scotch, but the Old-fashioned got me interested in bourbon. Nowadays I enjoy bourbon straight most of the time, but when I get a cocktail, it's still more often than not the Old-Fashioned.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Originally Posted by IUtoSLU
Conne's favorite recipe:

Step 1 - pour 1.5 oz of bourbon in a glass
Step 2 - think about your life, add 1/2 tbsp. of tears to the glass
Step 3 - add 5 more oz of bourbon to the same glass
Step 4 - drink
Step 5 - ask Mom for money to buy more bourbon
Repeat as necessary.

But seriously, try taking very small sips of it by itself or on the rocks.

Fixed that for you.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
These are great questions...."how do I drink booze???"

sincerity

Reaction score
have used http://www.amazon.com/Rocks-Whiskey-...pr_product_top to help me get used to drinking bourbon or scotch straight...wife bought these for me a while back ...They don't make the drink ice cold, they just chill it slightly. Also remove some of the overpowering aroma and make it smoother going down. I"m not sure if there is a less expensive option or what, but like I say these were a gift and do the job. They don't flavor the liquor at all though which is nice

WaterlooMike

Reaction score
Either in a shaker, or on the rocks (simpler).

A couple of dashes of bitters

1 Pony sweet vermouth

1 Jigger + 1 Pony Makers Mark

Stir (even if you're using a shaker, STIR until ice cold) and strain into a martini glass
bigstar[1].gif
, or enjoy on the rocks. I personally avoid the super-sweet cherry as garnish in favor of a frozen blackberry or two. It helps to keep the cocktail cold, and tastes great when you've finished the drink.

This is a Manhattan, FYI.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads