• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to dress well in CM without standing out too much

Hellbent

Reaction score
I would go with brown loafers in a non shiny leather like suede or CXL or brown camp Mocs

I am basically going to copy your outfit with that substitution, so thanks for the inspiration

Thanks a lot! I’m happy you like it. And a pair of loafers always works :)

Irish95

Reaction score
I did it! I took a photo of myself in order to post it on the internet.
As casual as I can be with a sport jacket :)
View attachment 1673774
I’m really enjoying this thread. I don’t chime in much, if at all, but had to comment on this photo. Great job. Looks like Jack Nicholson entering the “wrap party” for any of of his movies. It looks great and you pull it off well. Not a big fan of the trainers, but it works. I’d prefer loafers, but I’m not very subjective as I have too many to count myself. As others have said, rules count, but context and comfort in ones own skin wins out.

bobby jonathan

Reaction score
I’m really enjoying this thread. I don’t chime in much, if at all, but had to comment on this photo. Great job. Looks like Jack Nicholson entering the “wrap party” for any of of his movies. It looks great and you pull it off well. Not a big fan of the trainers, but it works. I’d prefer loafers, but I’m not very subjective as I have too many to count myself. As others have said, rules count, but context and comfort in ones own skin wins out.

Thank you!

bobby jonathan

物の哀れ

Reaction score
I think that David, profiled by Crompton, serves as a great example.

1632560766291.png

1632560797340.png

1632560811292.png

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I take it the second look is the relevant one here. The first one is casual with no tailoring, the third one is conservative business dress. The second one is good (not a fan of the shoes but that's just me), though it would come off as really quite smart in most settings. Swap the trousers for something a bit more casual (jeans, dressy chinos, or thin wale cords maybe) and the shoes for desert boots or sneakers or chunky derbies and it would be quite a stealthy CM look, yes. Also, he really needs to unfasten the second button on that polo or button it all the way up--otherwise he'll keep looking like an accountant who went on a few menswear sites.

JJ Katz

Reaction score
54 pages to basically accept that:
1) If you are someplace where many people wear CM you will not stick out due to wearing CM, per se.
2) If you are someplace where no one but you is wearing CM, you will stick out.
3) If you define CM as broadly and causally to include jeans and trainers then, your "CM" wearing will not probably stick out in a very casual environment.
Unless you are wearing any sport of tailored jacket, in which case you will stick out.
4) some people really don't want to stick out. Some don't mind. A few actively like sticking out.
:)

thuhoan

Reaction score
6A09A60F-4C38-4FBC-9583-B5E6D2727A2F.jpeg

Should I shorten the sleeves of the linen jacket or treat it as an outer jacket. It is technically (?) a sport coat

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1675139
Should I shorten the sleeves of the linen jacket or treat it as an outer jacket. It is technically (?) a sport coat

I think it looks fine. You could treat it either way. It’s very casual and it does share some features of a sport coat, though to my eye, it looks better if worn as a outerwear light layer.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
View attachment 1675139

I think you would do better in a different jacket. Personally not a fan of those types of jackets. The chest pockets, short length, and high buttoning point. If you end up wearing a silhouette like that, I think it's better if you just leave CM and go for a more SWD type of outfit. This is an example of a Barena jacket.

tumblr_mzbp1pISEQ1qa2j8co1_500.jpeg

thuhoan

Reaction score
I think you would do better in a different jacket. Personally not a fan of those types of jackets. The chest pockets, short length, and high buttoning point. If you end up wearing a silhouette like that, I think it's better if you just leave CM and go for a more SWD type of outfit. This is an example of a Barena jacket.

View attachment 1675154

Is it that bad? Hehe. Jacket is covering butt though, but I get your point. Would probably fit better in SWD. Combined with some jeans and boots.

Hellbent

Reaction score
54 pages to basically accept that:
1) If you are someplace where many people wear CM you will not stick out due to wearing CM, per se.
2) If you are someplace where no one but you is wearing CM, you will stick out.
3) If you define CM as broadly and causally to include jeans and trainers then, your "CM" wearing will not probably stick out in a very casual environment.
Unless you are wearing any sport of tailored jacket, in which case you will stick out.
4) some people really don't want to stick out. Some don't mind. A few actively like sticking out.
:)
A very good summary :)
I personally don't mind standing out a bit. But It must be in a positive way. And I think you can do that pretty much everywhere in most situations. Take people like Gianluca Migliarotti and David Coggins for instance. They look relaxed and approachable even when in a tie a pocket square. Exactly the type of people you would like to strike up a conversation with.
GianlucaMigliarotti_Polacy_we_Wloszech.jpg

e4e3fb3ead08b33cfa4c170e2134a3d9.jpg

241dcd357f69bf66edeb0792bd410c09.jpg

tumblr_1706b0b574bf86be25c17b60e9d6c210_16a9da56_540.jpg

full_cog_7.jpg

@radicaldog posted a good photo, I think, of him wearing a yellow linen suit. He looked relaxed.

Everybody could do this, with practice, if they wanted. Choose casual fabrics like linen and tweed. Pick cuts that are on the generous side in order to avoid looking and feeling constricted. Shoes in brown suede, or sneakers if you like. And of course, be confident but not cocky.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads