• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to dress well in CM without standing out too much

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BTW, who made this suit? I noticed it has a frogmouth lapel.

And what's the watch?

My tailor in Italy (can DM you the details but the only foreign travel he does is to Luxembourg for some reason). I've been getting frogmouth lapels on all my SBs for the last few years, all in a single-button configuration. I find it keeps it a bit more modern. Maybe I'm delusional.

Watch is G-Shock DW-5000-1JF.

物の哀れ

Reaction score
Here's a deep cut from very advanced dresser Guido Wongolini, skilfully dressing down a worsted glen check coat, part of a suit, with jeans.

View attachment 1671805

Here's Wongolini pulling-off a pinstripe coat with jeans.

Maybe it's because I miss travelling so much, but I like how this look evokes a living-out-of-a-suitcase nonchalance.

tumblr_lobd805ESq1qazg1ao1_r1_1280 (1).jpg

Last edited:

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Maybe it's because I miss travelling so much, but I like how this look evokes a living-out-of-a-suitcase nonchalance.

View attachment 1673733

That looks fairly nice to me but I would like it much better with a t-shirt instead of a shirt--otherwise it almost looks like the half suits Flusser wears sometimes. And that pocket square just needs to go. It immediately identifies him as a recovering iGent.

TomTom

Reaction score
I dig that fit. Also looks natural in that environment.

Here's another sneaker fit, although not designed to blend into the environment. This is Greg James in a yellow gabardine Edward Sexton suit. T-shirt by Hemen Biarritz; sneakers by Converse.

View attachment 1673181 View attachment 1673180

A similar suit Sexton cut for Tommy Nutter/ Mick Jagger

View attachment 1673184
Fail..a fail so massive it's almost gone to another dimension and succeeded in being stylish. Plus Greg is talentless twat.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Because of deviation from the mode.

and what is that mode?

By that logic, the wearing of classic menswear will de facto make someone stand out, without even trying to figure out what “stand out too much” means.

certainly if one is going to the hardware store on Sunday to buy something, a sport coat would be too much. But with a couple of hours to kill before dinner and in a department store?

I mentioned earlier that context is key. There are certainly times when one can be overdressed and draw attention, desirable or otherwise, to himself. But if the default mode is to wearing joggers and sneakers and to blend in, why are we even here?

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By that logic, the wearing of classic menswear will de facto make someone stand out, without even trying to figure out what “stand out too much” means.

I think this is exactly the issue. And what this thread is talking about is how to wear tailoring/CM without standing out “too much”. The people posting here don’t want to give up and devolve into sweats, but at the same time don’t want to be totally obvious. I don’t think it’s really all that hard to understand.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1673733
Honestly he's not really pulling anything off. Looks like an orphaned and out-of-place suit jacket worn, like you said, out of a suitcase.

物の哀れ

Reaction score
I think that Jung Young Hun also strikes the balance.

Again we see soft tailoring, less refined cloths, desaturated colours, and “mixing high with low”.

Hun is a fit guy and his clothes are cut for comfort with a lot of drape.

2019-02-06_13-32-19_UTC.jpg
2019-02-09_09-45-20_UTC.jpg
2019-04-20_11-30-40_UTC.jpg
2019-02-10_10-22-32_UTC.jpg
2019-04-24_00-50-44_UTC.jpg
2019-02-15_10-43-06_UTC.jpg

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
and what is that mode?

certainly if one is going to the hardware store on Sunday to buy something, a sport coat would be too much. But with a couple of hours to kill before dinner and in a department store?

I mentioned earlier that context is key. There are certainly times when one can be overdressed and draw attention, desirable or otherwise, to himself. But if the default mode is to wearing joggers and sneakers and to blend in, why are we even here?

The bar for dressing is pretty low now and has been for some time. Combine that with the impression that wearing CM is perceived as dressing well, and you are an outlier.

This happens to me as well. I just roll with it.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The bar for dressing is pretty low now and has been for some time. Combine that with the impression that wearing CM is perceived as dressing well, and you are an outlier.

This happens to me as well. I just roll with it.
I still get treated noticeably better when wearing a suit. I love the formality as well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads