• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to dress well in CM without standing out too much

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
Fwiw I think those are both good looks. By sheer coincidence, here I am in a grey linen suit and white canvas trainers, just a couple of weeks ago (shirt is a linen jersey polo):

View attachment 1673132

(That cafe is in the centre of Amsterdam, and tbh I think I stood out a bit. Maybe not too much. Not sure.)

I am not saying they are bad looks. It’s the incredible inconsistency displayed by our resident authority that is humorous.

Last edited:

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
Harry Styles also has some wild suits which I like on him but personally can’t pull off.

that’s a big thing that dieworkwewr doesn’t understand.
he loves what most 5-6 170 lb petite 20 something’s wear in an urban social or laid back work environment,
He is very critical of what many larger framed 50+ year old men wear in a professional setting

doeworkwewr doesn’t understand that what works for the first two photos here, might not be appropriate for the guy in the 3rd photo.

(2 looks dieworkwear adores)

(
FCBE7D39-E779-43A8-821C-5A81816ABDE2.jpeg

A884F2C9-3AB6-4DF1-8883-57D933DDF137.jpeg

(an aesthetic dieworkwear is very critical of)
4DE74D1D-3354-4614-A0D5-5B9E2B504A06.jpeg

Last edited:

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find it interesting what people think they can or can't 'pull off'... I would totally wear that yellow suit, except I don't think it's my colour. I wore a unstructured blue and red ikat fabric suit the other day with a purple shirt (I am not saying that this is CM, by the way)...

Photo on 2021-09-13 at 10.40 AM.jpg

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's expected on rock stars apart from maybe grungy, Metal-types who have their own uniform. As much as an Edward Sexton white suit would seem cool to me there have been zero times in my life so far where I could have worn it.

Entertainers are expected to entertain and be in the spotlight so they can dress that way. Kinda cool but not for the majority of us.

I also don't think Jagger looks particularly good in those yellow suits. Its not particularly illustrative to throw a picture of a man up who was for decades maybe considered one of the top 5 coolest/most popular men on the planet, and draw any conclusions about what he is wearing. Put him in a burlap sack and a ton of people will think he looks cool/avant/laid back.

I do think Prince looks good in the yellow, but that cut and colors like that are pretty constituent with his style and just kinda worked for him (in my opinion). I also think Hendrix looked good in the velvet suit.

I agree though. Would never wear anything like that. I've looked at white suits admiringly as well, but I cannot think where or when I'd possibly wear one. In LA I'm sure I could "get away" with it, but pretty sure I'd just look like a douche.

Last edited:

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
older conservative business look

There is nothing conservative about that atrocious pocket square with decorative stitching (?) along the edges. The rest is hard to argue with and I doubt DWW would take issue with it, except perhaps for the boxy cut of the suit and the fake pick-stitching along the lapels (just an informed guess).

pasadena man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also don't think Jagger looks particularly good in those yellow suits.

I do think Prince looks good in the yellow. I also think Hendrix looked good in the velvet suit.

I've looked at white suits admiringly as well, but I cannot think where or when I'd possibly wear one.
As I have started to try to think about menswear more generally (as opposed to just what looks good on me), I’ve migrated towards not evaluating colors in the abstract too much. Rather, I think of them in regard to speciric skin/hair/eye tones. Some of the bright yellows and adjacent jewel tone colors seem unworkable for me personally, with my light, low contrast, coloring.

A lot of these colors more frequently work, to my eye, with Black (Prince, Hedrix, etc.) and some South Asian, among other, skin tones.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I have started to try to think about menswear more generally (as opposed to just what looks good on me), I’ve migrated towards not evaluating colors in the abstract too much. Rather, I think of them in regard to speciric skin/hair/eye tones. Some of the bright yellows and adjacent jewel tone colors seem unworkable for me personally, with my light, low contrast, coloring.

A lot of these colors more frequently work, to my eye, with Black (Prince, Hedrix, etc.) and some South Asian, among other, skin tones.

Totally. One of my best friends from Kinder and my college roommate is South Asian. He looks badass in purple, yellow and orange. I look pretty bad in all of those.

I have a gala to go to in Oct at Annandale. Not BT... still deciding what to wear. Wedding at Descanso this weekend, haven't decided either!

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ozwald Boateng sells some pretty wild suits. I don't know how many of his customers are actually buying these jeweled toned suits, rather than your standard navy and grey worsteds. But his shop on Savile Row basically feels like you've gone spelunking in a jewel-encrusted cave. So I assume that the colors are drawing in customers and that some of them are buying the wilder designs.

There's a BBC documentary about him called Why Style Matters. It's available on YouTube.

190506162939-01-ozwald-boateng-harlem-fashion.jpeg
PANLEL-1.jpeg
63049845_2370107153242656_5540366255019788014_n.jpg
60156323_2291758314211685_993397215636847733_n.jpg
75196164_805916609829530_3784802677362652373_n (1).jpg
61482879_335477847134766_4821580076026633526_n.jpg
#AFRICANISM_Book21.jpeg
OBAF_19.jpeg

Last edited:

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ozwald Boateng sells some pretty wild suits. I don't know how many of his customers are actually buying these jeweled toned suits, rather than your standard navy and grey worsteds. But his shop on Savile Row basically feels like you've gone spelunking in a jewel-encrusted cave. So I assume that the colors are drawing in customers and that some of them are buying the wilder designs.

There's a BBC documentary about him called Why Style Matters. It's available on YouTube.

View attachment 1673405 View attachment 1673404 View attachment 1673407 View attachment 1673408

Can look good on some in suppose. Pro studio shots obviously make it easier.

I would not recommend these to anyone I know in real life.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can look good on some in suppose. Pro studio shots obviously make it easier.

I would not recommend these to anyone I know in real life.

Those colors work on individuals with a dark complexion. I would recommend for a night out on the town.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those colors work on individuals with a dark complexion. I would recommend for a night out on the town.

Sure. The colors yes. I still wouldn't recommend them for suits generally.

I've had surprising success getting similar aged friends into my tailor, and most of them aren't pasty white guys like me.

Most of my darker complexioned friends who wear tailoring choose to wear shirts or ties in colors that complement their skin tone, which don't look good on me (lookin at your Hermes orange).

But none of them would wear clothing like that.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sure. The colors yes. I still wouldn't recommend them for suits generally.

I've had surprising success getting similar aged friends into my tailor, and most of them aren't pasty white guys like me.

Most of my darker complexioned friends who wear tailoring choose to wear shirts or ties in colors that complement their skin tone, which don't look good on me (lookin at your Hermes orange).

But none of them would wear clothing like that.

I wouldn’t wear anything Ozwald is pushing but I do like wearing colors that aren’t typically worn around these parts.

Pink for the summer and purple for the winter.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads