• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to dress well in CM without standing out too much

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You're always telling people to buy suede chukkas to wear with tailoring aren't you? How is something like this all that different?

View attachment 1672810

That strikes me as a much more casual shoe. When I think of chukkas and tailoring, I usually think of something like this:

The-Brecon-Chukka-Boot-in-Dark-Brown_5180_R_2683ea12.jpeg

'patanoster

Reaction score

Dadacantona

Reaction score
The Colin Firth character, Bill Haydon (loosely based on the real life Kim Philby), the “Tailor” in the recent film “Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy”, is a posh Oxbridge M16 officer who wears nicely tailored clothing with desert boots. The character is taken from the John le Carre novels.
That always stuck in my mind. Can’t recall if Haydon wore desert boots in the original BBC series (or in the book), but Alec Guinness‘ Smiley did.
Another literary desert boots-with-tailoring wearer is Tom Ripley (also “cordovans” and Gucci loafers), an American living (hiding?) in Europe.
I‘ve always found it a very natural pairing, especially with Flannel, cord etc, but I fall into the left wing academic category so maybe I’m proving the original point.

Waldo Jeffers

Reaction score
I realize I’m a few pages behind, but I think charcoal pants can look great with a dark navy sportcoat

in fact, I think this can look more elegant than the usual mid gray pants with navy jacket look, especially since it’s more conducive to black shoes

it’s a nice combination to get a pretty formal look without wearing a suit

so don’t write off charcoal pants!

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t know if I could ever look that good in them, but those boots are amazing and really make that outfit IMO.

Agreed. But you need to be a skinny, rakish cocaine fiend to look good in them.

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
Totally.

Come on, I would've thought you'd know better than to dig yourself into another hole with arbitrary footwear rules by now.

If you don't know that desert boots with tailoring has been a thing since the mods and with various other Euro subcultures as well, I don't know what to tell you.

LOL

sports coat with desert boots would mean one doesn’t know how to dress because of no political connection.

butdieworkwwwr was praising new balance with a blue blazer look, as well as the suit with early 1990’s middle school girls shoes (keds)

94EA80DC-4539-4284-B4AE-988695E3386D.jpeg

BEE32A39-36E4-46EF-A34F-4FCA21DFB2C5.jpeg

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LOL

sports coat with desert boots would mean one doesn’t know how to dress because of no political connection.

butdieworkwwwr was praising new balance with a blue blazer look, as well as the suit with early 1990’s middle school girls shoes (keds)

View attachment 1673068

View attachment 1673067

Fwiw I think those are both good looks. By sheer coincidence, here I am in a grey linen suit and white canvas trainers, just a couple of weeks ago (shirt is a linen jersey polo):

IMG_1187.jpg

(That cafe is in the centre of Amsterdam, and tbh I think I stood out a bit. Maybe not too much. Not sure.)

Last edited:

Substanceoverstyle

Reaction score
The unavoidable problem with wearing white trainers or sneakers like that is all the attention is pulled downward, away from your face towards your feet. They stand out from the rest of the outfit. In fact, in this picture, they stand out from basically everything.

Having said that, you probably did not stand out much as a person - almost everything goes nowadays, most certainly in Amsterdam.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The unavoidable problem with wearing white trainers or sneakers like that is all the attention is pulled downward, away from your face towards your feet. They stand out from the rest of the outfit. In fact, in this picture, they stand out from basically everything.

You're right, that's what I figured too. I remember thinking I should've worn the same shoes but in ecru with gum soles. In my defence, in the picture my feet are clearly too close to the lens so they look giant compared to the rest. Sand desert boots would've been much better but I didn't want to wear socks.

Having said that, you probably did not stand out much as a person - almost everything goes nowadays, most certainly in Amsterdam.

On the contrary, I find this city really conformist. It's almost as bad as Copenhagen or Stockholm.

bobby jonathan

Reaction score
LOL

View attachment 1673068

View attachment 1673067

Casual look, shouldn't look, overworked.

It's like dough, too needed.

bobby jonathan

bobby jonathan

Reaction score
Fwiw I think those are both good looks. By sheer coincidence, here I am in a grey linen suit and white canvas trainers, just a couple of weeks ago (shirt is a linen jersey polo):

View attachment 1673132

(That cafe is in the centre of Amsterdam, and tbh I think I stood out a bit. Maybe not too much. Not sure.)

What stands out the most, is your ankles which while are for standing, shouldn't stand in our eye.

bobby jonathan

Hellbent

Reaction score
On the contrary, I find this city really conformist.

I agree. Most everyone in jeans and outer wear. Stressed to their teeth by trying desperately to appear as casual as possible. All ending up looking the same.

Paris is my favorite city when it comes to varied dress. You can wear sharp or casual. Nobody stands out it seems.

EDIT: Like that the outfit a lot btw.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads