• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to dress well in CM without standing out too much

Hellbent

Reaction score
... I'd just switch the shoes to something more like desert boots, to keep it more left wing ...

I don't dislike the desert boat idea, but for me the look then becomes something else entirely.

Last edited:

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The total traditionalist are going to ostracize me ... but I have just ordered a pair of 5-pocket pants in a khaki color. Assuming they look good, I'll order more. I'm especially fond of the white and beige ... but winter is on the way. Hell, I may even buy some denin. If it doesn't work, I'm not wanting for odd trousers.

Don't say you can't teach an old dog new tricks ... or perhaps I've just been tricked. We'll see.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't dislike the desert boat idea, but for me the look then becomes something else entirely.

Yes perhaps more bobo than bcbg. I think the sweet spot is somewhere in the middle for me.

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(I mean, I love Weston 180s, but you just can't wear them in France and be taken seriously, for example). But to each their own.
Interesting. What kind of connotations do the Weston 180s have in France?

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like this look a lot too. Loden coat, floppy well-worn stuff etc. I'd just switch the shoes to something more like desert boots, to keep it more left wing (I mean, I love Weston 180s, but you just can't wear them in France and be taken seriously, for example). But to each their own.

You often make comments about dressing "left wing" or "right wing", but I don't read many (any?) other people talking about this consistently. I certainly have never given a moment's thought to how my clothes portray me politically, but I'll admit that I don't give much thought to politics in general. I'm curious if other people are so conscious of this as an idea, and I am just oblivious.

I obviously think certain things get appropriated by specific groups (e.g., I know there was some commentary a while back on a particular piece of clothing being worn by skinheads, that sort of thing), but I'm talking about more general clothing.

I hope this doesn't come off as combative...it's not meant to be. I'm genuinely curious about the assignation of politics to clothes and whether I'm just in the minority of folks who don't draw those connections.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You often make comments about dressing "left wing" or "right wing", but I don't read many (any?) other people talking about this consistently. I certainly have never given a moment's thought to how my clothes portray me politically, but I'll admit that I don't give much thought to politics in general. I'm curious if other people are so conscious of this as an idea, and I am just oblivious.

I obviously think certain things get appropriated by specific groups (e.g., I know there was some commentary a while back on a particular piece of clothing being worn by skinheads, that sort of thing), but I'm talking about more general clothing.

I hope this doesn't come off as combative...it's not meant to be. I'm genuinely curious about the assignation of politics to clothes and whether I'm just in the minority of folks who don't draw those connections.

I've noticed that, when I wear CM, petitioners in San Francisco never ask me to sign petitions. I assume because they think I'm Republican.

Like, there will be someone on the street asking "do you have time to support LGBTQ rights?" "Have a moment to spare for the environment?" "Sir, would you like to help us to stop gun violence?" Just over and over again to all passerbys.

Then when I walk by in a sport coat, the person just looks down and waits for the next person.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've noticed that, when I wear CM, petitioners in San Francisco never ask me to sign petitions. I assume because they think I'm Republican.

Like, there will be someone on the street asking "do you have time to support LGBTQ rights?" "Have a moment to spare for the environment?" "Sir, would you like to help us to stop gun violence?" Just over and over again to all passerbys.

Then when I walk by in a sport coat, the person just looks down and waits for the next person.

So I suppose this doesn't really surprise me.

Maybe my question for @radicaldog is more nuanced. Like, if someone was wearing flannel trousers, a sportcoat and penny loafers, vs. the same outfit with desert boots...would that really signal a political shift in the minds of many people?

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Works the exact opposite with panhandlers around here. Suit = $$.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Fair questions. As I was saying earlier, I'm aware that these political connotations are more evident in Europe. For example, think of the "Tories of Bumble" pic DWW posted recently:

1632246039375.png

Isn't it obvious that this guy is conservative? I submit it'd be obvious to anyone familiar with the UK. It's also obvious from comments frequently make here that many igents see being well put together as connected to bourgeois, conservative notions of respectability. (I'm not judging, just describing.) Or just consider the different politics regularly on display in MC vs SWD: I don't think the differences are coincidental. Or look at this old feature by Corriere della Sera on politics and fashion in Italy. They correctly note that 40 years ago things were more clear-cut, but still, some elements are still there.

Stylewords

Reaction score
Perhaps they're concerned you're going to criticise their choice of footwear.
Fair questions. As I was saying earlier, I'm aware that these political connotations are more evident in Europe. For example, think of the "Tories of Bumble" pic DWW posted recently:

View attachment 1672706

Isn't it obvious that this guy is conservative? I submit it'd be obvious to anyone familiar with the UK. It's also obvious from comments frequently make here that many igents see being well put together as connected to bourgeois, conservative notions of respectability. (I'm not judging, just describing.) Or just consider the different politics regularly on display in MC vs SWD: I don't think the differences are coincidental. Or look at this old feature by Corriere della Sera on politics and fashion in Italy. They correctly note that 40 years ago things were more clear-cut, but still, some elements are still there.
But the issue is more a question of being posh or not, not specifically their politics.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So I suppose this doesn't really surprise me.

Maybe my question for @radicaldog is more nuanced. Like, if someone was wearing flannel trousers, a sportcoat and penny loafers, vs. the same outfit with desert boots...would that really signal a political shift in the minds of many people?

I personally wouldn't, but I think these outfits have different meanings in different places. If I saw someone in a Barbour, I wouldn't automatically assume something about their politics. Barbour is just a very generic, slightly preppy type of garment here.

If I saw someone wearing a sport coat with desert boots here, I would think they don't know how to dress or they read menswear blogs. It's just such an unusual combination here; it doesn't hold any political meaning.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not many people, no. But in Milan, say, many people aged 35 or older would notice and think of the political difference. Especially if the desert boots were well used, and instead of penny loafers the person was wearing shiny English brogues or these days some godawful branded shoe-sneaker hybrid. Ditto for JM Weston 180s in Paris, etc.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But the issue is more a question of being posh or not, not specifically their politics.

My British posh--like, peers of the realm or thereabouts--left wing friends don't dress like that. Though some of them sometimes will not resist some nod at landowning and such.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads