• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to dress well in CM without standing out too much

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really liked this thread. Unfortunately it’s pretty close to being ruined by the doggie.

thuhoan

Reaction score
Please tell us a bit more about what kind of look you’re going for, and in what context. And your age would also make a difference. Otherwise our advice will be useless projection.

Also, are you sure about that vertical buttonhole?

Hi,

With regards to the buttonhole: it comes with the jacket. I never use the lapel buttonhole so it probably will not bother me.

I am working in an office where people dress anything from casual to smart casual, usually without jacket. As I don't care what and how they dress (I don't judge), I myself like to dress up (compared to them), but more importantly I like to dress well. Currently 33 years of age and working as an engineer. I myself don't necessarily want to stand out by wearing bright and or colorful items, rather standing out by looking well put together.

I have some basic rules myself when putting outfits together:
- Never jeans at the office (though it is perfectly acceptable at my work place), only trousers and chinos in neutral/light colors like grey, tan, off white, sometimes navy (combined with a lighter blue base color jacket, northern light)
- Never sneakers
- Always a shirt (usually white/light blue/greyish glenn plaid
- Will always wear a jacket when wearing a shirt (hence I need more jackets)

Typical outfit combinations:

WhatsApp Image 2021-09-20 at 14.57.07 (1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-09-20 at 00.38.49.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-09-20 at 14.57.07.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-09-20 at 14.57.08 (1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-09-20 at 14.57.08.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-09-20 at 14.57.06.jpeg

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
If one is looking for some historical cohesion, this is a pretty good look.

1A143F1A-5CD2-4D64-901F-2B2D785FB78B.jpeg

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi,

With regards to the buttonhole: it comes with the jacket. I never use the lapel buttonhole so it probably will not bother me.

I am working in an office where people dress anything from casual to smart casual, usually without jacket. As I don't care what and how they dress (I don't judge), I myself like to dress up (compared to them), but more importantly I like to dress well. Currently 33 years of age and working as an engineer. I myself don't necessarily want to stand out by wearing bright and or colorful items, rather standing out by looking well put together.

I have some basic rules myself when putting outfits together:
- Never jeans at the office (though it is perfectly acceptable at my work place), only trousers and chinos in neutral/light colors like grey, tan, off white, sometimes navy (combined with a lighter blue base color jacket, northern light)
- Never sneakers
- Always a shirt (usually white/light blue/greyish glenn plaid
- Will always wear a jacket when wearing a shirt (hence I need more jackets)

Typical outfit combinations:

View attachment 1671965 View attachment 1671970 View attachment 1671966 View attachment 1671967 View attachment 1671968 View attachment 1671969

Good combos. Conservative to my eye but tasteful. I think you aesthetic would be very well served by following the advice of Simon Crompton of Permanent Style.

MacGuffen

Reaction score
Felt pretty successful in wearing CM and not standing out today. The moleskin fabric of the sports coat and subdued colors help a lot.
5C5404D6-9E5B-4801-A2A0-3D643DCD297E.jpeg

It was cold in the morning, so I popped the collar. Most people probably registered it as a nice outerwear jacket.
47208E80-050F-4264-94A0-D72E75659C8E.jpeg

Last edited:

thuhoan

Reaction score
Good combos. Conservative to my eye but tasteful. I think you aesthetic would be very well served by following the advice of Simon Crompton of Permanent Style.

Thanks. I am going back to being conservative. I have had my fair share in fancy socks, skin tight tailoring, bright and colorful shoes and what not.

otterhound

Reaction score
Felt pretty successful in wearing CM and not standing out today. The moleskin fabric of the sports coat and subdued colors help a lot. View attachment 1672621

It was cold in the morning, so I popped the collar. Most people probably registered it as a nice outerwear jacket.
View attachment 1672622
This look would work for me out in the 'burbs. Saw a guy grocery shopping looking similar this morning. Any 5-pocket pants would probably work, wouldn't necessarily have to be denim. Proper Cloth has some black moleskin 5-pockets that look interesting.

Hellbent

Reaction score
I have been trying before, in vain, to put words on what casual elegance means for me. I now have found, not the words, but instead an whole article with pictures, which describes just that. Written by Tony Sylvester for Permanent Style.

My thoughts:
A relaxed, but not baggy, fit.
Shiny dark shoes.
OTC socks (Not shown, but they need to be there for sanity reasons)
One accessory (scarf, thin belt).
No shirt (Damn I love shirts, but I could try wearing something else once in a while :) )

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I am going back to being conservative. I have had my fair share in fancy socks, skin tight tailoring, bright and colorful shoes and what not.

I meant conservative more in a political/formal sense as opposed to the opposite of fancy (which I abhor), but yes. Political connotations in dress are more of an Italian/French thing I guess.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been trying before, in vain, to put words on what casual elegance means for me. I now have found, not the words, but instead an whole article with pictures, which describes just that. Written by Tony Sylvester for Permanent Style.

My thoughts:
A relaxed, but not baggy, fit.
Shiny dark shoes.
OTC socks (Not shown, but they need to be there for sanity reasons)
One accessory (scarf, thin belt).
No shirt (Damn I love shirts, but I could try wearing something else once in a while :) )

Like this look a lot too. Loden coat, floppy well-worn stuff etc. I'd just switch the shoes to something more like desert boots, to keep it more left wing (I mean, I love Weston 180s, but you just can't wear them in France and be taken seriously, for example). But to each their own.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics