• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to dress well in CM without standing out too much

Hellbent

Reaction score
Young royal
60A44B80-8D99-44A2-BE55-DBACDE374365.jpeg

His older brother dresses slightly less terribly though. And occasionally in a tweed sport jacket.
77DB5E9D-B2C9-408D-A0BA-97D074EAB057.jpeg

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s weird how they now dress in ostentatiously low-end RTW (and don’t even get me started on Harry’s socks). Must be a PR thing.

Hellbent

Reaction score
It’s weird how they now dress in ostentatiously low-end RTW (and don’t even get me started on Harry’s socks). Must be a PR thing.

Hey, at least he’s matching his laces with his socks. And he’s wearing oxfords :)

Proleet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

he is trying to appear like a regular bloke…who just happens to live in a twenty million dollar mansion and gets money for free

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It's got to be PR.

I wonder if, when he is POW and handing out warrants, William will dress better.

Harry is likely a lost cause. He lives in CA now, and this is a place clothing comes to die.

thuhoan

Reaction score
Hi guys,

How would you guys style this jacket within CM? I was thinking of lighter colored trousers/chinos in off white/beige/grey with some brown leather/suede non-oxford shoes. I think jeans and clean sneakers would work as well. Shirt could be a solid color or striped which pattern is larger than the jacket.

It is made of 71% Wool, 16% Silk, 13% Linnen so I think appropriate for most seasons.
soci3ty-colbert_1242x1491_34238.jpg
soci3ty-colbert_1242x1491_34240.jpg

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
Hi guys,

How would you guys style this jacket within CM? I was thinking of lighter colored trousers/chinos in off white/beige/grey with some brown leather/suede non-oxford shoes. I think jeans and clean sneakers would work as well. Shirt could be a solid color or striped which pattern is larger than the jacket.

It is made of 71% Wool, 16% Silk, 13% Linnen so I think appropriate for most seasons.
View attachment 1671677 View attachment 1671679

probably wool trousers with a crease and a brown/oxblood pair of more fashion forward oxfords (gaziano & girling style)

sort of like this

3DC67FD4-1794-4B60-B7E9-B884BB2C1A5E.jpeg

337B2515-DC56-473B-ABEA-9AB465B8C8D6.jpeg

if you wanted to dress it down I would go with a pair of monk straps or more sleek style derbies or loafers. I would be reluctant to pair the clunky/bulky derbies or loafers with that jacket as it might dress it down too much?

thuhoan

Reaction score
probably wool trousers with a crease and a brown/oxblood pair of more fashion forward oxfords (gaziano & girling style)

sort of like this

View attachment 1671711
View attachment 1671712

if you wanted to dress it down I would go with a pair of monk straps or more sleek style derbies or loafers. I would be reluctant to pair the clunky/bulky derbies or loafers with that jacket as it might dress it down too much?

Thanks! I particularly like the color of the brown jacket (which is also on my wish list). I can see the country/informal/patterned jacket I posted being a bit too loud for sleek oxfords, as I think the pattern is already informalizing the jacket along with the patch pockets and soft shoulders.

Hellbent

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Very versatile jacket. You could throw pretty much anything on there and it would work. Me?
Casual:
Cream polo shirt, blue jeans, brown suede loafers.
Elegant:
Off white linen or wool trousers generously cut with pleats and a sharp crease, pale yellow ribbed OTC socks, black polished calfskin penny loafers and white crisp shirt. Not sure about any of this, but a least it’s something :)

EDIT:
The black shoes work if you have dark hair, imho. Otherwise I would go with brown ones also for the elegant look.

Last edited:

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
Thanks! Particularly like the color of the brown jacket (which is also on my wish list). I can see the country/informal/patterned jacket I posted being a bit too loud for sleek oxfords, as I think the pattern is already informalizing the jacket along with the patch pockets and soft shoulders.

i think that jacket has some versatility to it. You could take it down with a jeans look, or you could take it up with a more smart and sleek look.

that’s the beauty of sports coats. The versatility

thuhoan

Reaction score
Very versatile jacket. You could throw pretty much anything on there and it would work. Me?
Casual:
Cream polo shirt, blue jeans, brown suede loafers.
Elegant:
Off white linen or wool trousers generously cut with pleats and a sharp crease, pale yellow ribbed OTC socks, black polished calfskin penny loafers and white crisp shirt. Not sure about any of this, but a least it’s something :)

That casual combination sounds awesome. I am afraid I won't be able to pull off the latter haha, but that is definitely something.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hi guys,

When you're first starting to build a wardrobe, it's always easier to build a wardrobe around grey trousers. In other words, get grey trousers in varying shades (except charcoal, the darkest) and materials (tropical wool for summer, flannel for winter).

Then buy jackets that go with those trousers, such as dark brown tweeds, navy sport coats, and so forth.

There are two advantages. First, if you're just starting to get into tailored clothing, there's no guarantee that you will be into this style in ten years. Many men get into this and then leave, finding that tailoring is too formal for their lifestyle. Building a wardrobe this way allows you to stick to a small wardrobe without having to spend a lot of money (a plus if you end up ditching it later).

Secondly, this is an easy formula to follow and allows for endless variation. The normal formula for a tailored ensemble goes something like this: light-colored pants, dark-colored shoes, light-colored shirt, dark-colored jacket, and dark-colored tie. This gives enough contrast between each element. And with colors such as grey pants, dark brown shoes, and shirts that are light blue or white, you can focus on just the jacket. This makes it easier to get dressed in the morning.

I recommend passing on that jacket and going for something that's easier to wear for a beginner. Stick to darker jackets and you won't have to wonder how to wear them with trousers. However, if you really want to wear that, the easiest way to wear those types of jackets is to choose a slightly darker shade of the base color.

For example, if you have a patterned sport coat where the base color is light blue (a difficult jacket to wear), then an easy choice is dark blue for the pants.

The jacket you posted has a grey-ish tan color, so I would wear it with a cold shade of dark brown. For the shirt, I would do a shirt in light blue or white, or a grey long-sleeved polo. For the shoes, I would do black tassel loafers or dark brown split toes.

20200626042_2048x.jpeg

thuhoan

Reaction score
When you're first starting to build a wardrobe, it's always easier to build a wardrobe around grey trousers. In other words, get grey trousers in varying shades (except charcoal, the darkest) and materials (tropical wool for summer, flannel for winter).

Then buy jackets that go with those trousers, such as dark brown tweeds, navy sport coats, and so forth.

There are two advantages. First, if you're just starting to get into tailored clothing, there's no guarantee that you will be into this style in ten years. Many men get into this and then leave, finding that tailoring is too formal for their lifestyle. Building a wardrobe this way allows you to stick to a small wardrobe without having to spend a lot of money (a plus if you end up ditching it later).

Secondly, this is an easy formula to follow and allows for endless variation. The normal formula for a tailored ensemble goes something like this: light-colored pants, dark-colored shoes, light-colored shirt, dark-colored jacket, and dark-colored tie. This gives enough contrast between each element. And with colors such as grey pants, dark brown shoes, and shirts that are light blue or white, you can focus on just the jacket. This makes it easier to get dressed in the morning.

I recommend passing on that jacket and going for something that's easier to wear for a beginner. Stick to darker jackets and you won't have to wonder how to wear them with trousers. However, if you really want to wear that, the easiest way to wear those types of jackets is to choose a slightly darker shade of the base color.

For example, if you have a patterned sport coat where the base color is light blue (a difficult jacket to wear), then an easy choice is dark blue for the pants.

The jacket you posted has a grey-ish tan color, so I would wear it with a cold shade of dark brown. For the shirt, I would do a shirt in light blue or white, or a grey long-sleeved polo. For the shoes, I would do black tassel loafers or dark brown split toes.

View attachment 1671717

Agree with all the points.

"... the easiest way to wear those types of jackets is to choose a slightly darker shade of the base color."

This is some great advice. Noted.

With a cold shade of brown I assume you mean the opposite of deep rich colors like chocolate, burgundy, red hues etc.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads