• We would like to welcome Pete and Harry as an official Affiliate Vendor. Pete and Harry, co-founded by Erik (EFV) one of our long time members and friends, offers a wide variety of products, clothes, watches and accessories, antique, vintage, “pre-loved” and new - all at unparalleled prices. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

How to dress well in CM without standing out too much

Stylewords

Reaction score
Is it that bad? Hehe. Jacket is covering butt though, but I get your point. Would probably fit better in SWD. Combined with some jeans and boots.
I disagree with the other poster. I think the jacket looks great and works well in making a tailored look more casual. Better than the other nondescript casual jacket.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
e4e3fb3ead08b33cfa4c170e2134a3d9.jpg

Maybe it's the physiognomy, but these guys look like they have some
Camorra connections. Otherwise, well put together.

acapaca

Reaction score
View attachment 1675139
Should I shorten the sleeves of the linen jacket or treat it as an outer jacket. It is technically (?) a sport coat
Here's my two cents, for what it's worth. I wouldn't bother with having the sleeves shortened, with the following considerations in mind:

1) It doesn't look like they are necessarily out of the standard sort of acceptable range anyway, even if that were a traditional sportcoat.

2) If that's a short-sleeved knit under it -- or if it's not but on occasion might be -- then you'd naturally want to leave the sleeves a bit longer, no?

3) People talk about an 'accordion effect' with linen, meaning the cuffs will creep upward as you collect more wrinkles around the elbow with use. I haven't observed this to make a significant difference myself, but maybe that's because the effect gets almost immediately baked in. (In other words, maybe it has already happened to you in this pic.) Probably can't hurt, though, at the very least, to wear it a few times first if you do decide to shorten.

4) I can't tell from the pic what yours is like, but I have an unlined shirt jacket with a simple plain hem on the sleeves, meaning no buttons or cuff, and it is similarly borderline too long. With certain shirts I can actually fold it up an inch or so. Not sure this would ever apply to yours, though.

5) Finally, the obvious observation that it's far easier to change your mind later if you opt for no action now.

On silhouette... If you find yourself getting lots of use out of this look and start thinking about adding other similar jackets, you might try the safari jackets/overshirts that have square corners at the hem and thus fully closed quarters, as it were. I find that those long vertical lines are flattering in this kind of look, particularly when the jacket is worn open. Oh, and...with that kind of jacket, especially with that high buttoning point, you might like to always leave it open.

thuhoan

Reaction score
Here's my two cents, for what it's worth. I wouldn't bother with having the sleeves shortened, with the following considerations in mind:

1) It doesn't look like they are necessarily out of the standard sort of acceptable range anyway, even if that were a traditional sportcoat.

2) If that's a short-sleeved knit under it -- or if it's not but on occasion might be -- then you'd naturally want to leave the sleeves a bit longer, no?

3) People talk about an 'accordion effect' with linen, meaning the cuffs will creep upward as you collect more wrinkles around the elbow with use. I haven't observed this to make a significant difference myself, but maybe that's because the effect gets almost immediately baked in. (In other words, maybe it has already happened to you in this pic.) Probably can't hurt, though, at the very least, to wear it a few times first if you do decide to shorten.

4) I can't tell from the pic what yours is like, but I have an unlined shirt jacket with a simple plain hem on the sleeves, meaning no buttons or cuff, and it is similarly borderline too long. With certain shirts I can actually fold it up an inch or so. Not sure this would ever apply to yours, though.

5) Finally, the obvious observation that it's far easier to change your mind later if you opt for no action now.

On silhouette... If you find yourself getting lots of use out of this look and start thinking about adding other similar jackets, you might try the safari jackets/overshirts that have square corners at the hem and thus fully closed quarters, as it were. I find that those long vertical lines are flattering in this kind of look, particularly when the jacket is worn open. Oh, and...with that kind of jacket, especially with that high buttoning point, you might like to always leave it open.
Really great points, much appreciated @acapaca

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
After reading this thread in its entirety I’m pretty sure that I’m now set on the idea that the fits that stand out most to me are the ones that are trying to force CM to be more casual and are trying hardest to not stand out. That’s not to say I don’t like some of the looks. Some are executed really well but I just don’t see them standing out less than someone in trousers, a sport coat or blazer.
I agree. And when it includes white trainers it’s about as subtle as a neon sign “Eat at Joes!”

Last edited:

Hellbent

Reaction score
Interview with Richard Biedul. I always liked his style even though it’s a bit fashiony at times.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Hellbent

Reaction score
Any particular brand and roast? I may want to try it.
Arabica beans medium roast. Not sure about the brand. Turned out more off-white than brown. Tea could also work I suppose. Different scent though,

• Haha
Reactions: RSS

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You unironically like that?
If you’re wearing a yellow suit or the equivalent, you’re announcing to the world that you’re either a clown or an extreme badass. It’s highly unlikely you are actually the latter so everyone will understand you to be the former

me living my best life in a yellow suit

Featured Sponsor

LARGE METAL WATCHES WITH TAILORING

• Yes, I’m tacky like that.

• No way José! Dress watch with leather strap for me!

• No watch at all.

Results are only viewable after voting.