• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to dress well in CM without standing out too much

Hellbent

Reaction score
I did it! I took a photo of myself in order to post it on the internet.
As casual as I can be with a sport jacket :)
RNI-Films-IMG-3333353E-C9B7-45F4-A919-5E7A9DB43CA0.JPG

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think this is exactly the issue. And what this thread is talking about is how to wear tailoring/CM without standing out “too much”. The people posting here don’t want to give up and devolve into sweats, but at the same time don’t want to be totally obvious. I don’t think it’s really all that hard to understand.

it’s not difficult to understand. I completely get it.

I assume some of these comments are in response to my particular experience that I related. It’s the first time I’ve experienced that.

In the case presented, I don’t think I was standing out. I had on a blazer. That’s it. If that’s standing out, I don’t know what to say. Also, I didn’t wear it just to go to a store. I wore it because we were going to dinner. We happened to have time to kill and decided to take advantage of it. I can’t execute multiple outfit changes during the course of the day based on where I’m going.

So DWW’s dopey comments aside, at some point the “standing out too much” thing becomes a matter that others consider and I can’t be charged with reading minds.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The bar for dressing is pretty low now and has been for some time. Combine that with the impression that wearing CM is perceived as dressing well, and you are an outlier.

This happens to me as well. I just roll with it.

as did I. It didn’t bother me. More of a curiosity.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I assume some of these comments are in response to my particular experience that I related. It’s the first time I’ve experienced that.

As Joan Rivers used to say, "Can we talk?" I think it's the perceived degree of indignation that is flagging the attention. These things happen. May I suggest laughing it off and letting it go?

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
and what is that mode?

By that logic, the wearing of classic menswear will de facto make someone stand out, without even trying to figure out what “stand out too much” means.

certainly if one is going to the hardware store on Sunday to buy something, a sport coat would be too much. But with a couple of hours to kill before dinner and in a department store?

I mentioned earlier that context is key. There are certainly times when one can be overdressed and draw attention, desirable or otherwise, to himself. But if the default mode is to wearing joggers and sneakers and to blend in, why are we even here?

Indeed the point of this thread is precisely to figure out how and when to wear a sportcoat without sticking out like a sore thumb.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How much of a discount do you get on coffee?
Amusingly, at my old office I used to get to work early, before 7:00AM, when the construction workers, maintenance folks, and street people were coming in as well. Quite often I was the only one in tailoring. Even though there were other regulars there I’d get called out of line as they had my usual ready.

Just because of wearing a suit? Maybe.

Anyway, I do notice better treatment when dressed well. Doesn’t have to be tailoring but seems to be the gold standard at least where I live.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did it! I took a photo of myself in order to post it on the internet.
As casual as I can be with a sport jacket :)
View attachment 1673774

Nice. I think it will work even better once the trainers are bit more worn in. I would’ve worn something like Cortez or NB in grey but these are minor points of preference.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's fun seeing some of the fellows wearing white trainers with their casual "outfits". I used to wear them with chinos and a coat back in the early 80's. Before my time and NOT A CLUE!

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Indeed the point of this thread is precisely to figure out how and when to wear a sportcoat without sticking out like a sore thumb.

fair enough. At some point though, it’s outside of my control what someone else thinks.

Reactions: RSS

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As Joan Rivers used to say, "Can we talk?" I think it's the perceived degree of indignation that is flagging the attention. These things happen. May I suggest laughing it off and letting it go?

I didn’t laugh it off and I did let it go. I brought it up here as a somewhat humorous anecdote but I see that the Algonquin round table here doesn’t really have much of a sense of humor.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I didn’t laugh it off and I did let it go. I brought it up here as a somewhat humorous anecdote but I see that the Algonquin round table here doesn’t really have much of a sense of humor.
Long ago I discovered that it's common for others infer far more than what was implied. "Perceived" is the magic word.

Last edited:

Hellbent

Reaction score
Nice. I think it will work even better once the trainers are bit more worn in. I would’ve worn something like Cortez or NB in grey but these are minor points of preference.
Thanks! Well it’s surprisingly, to me, hard to find shoes that work well with those trousers anyways. I suppose medium brown desert boots would work ok.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks! Well it’s surprisingly, to me, hard to find shoes that work well with those trousers anyways. I suppose medium brown desert boots would work ok.
With green cords ... medium to darker brown ... suede or leather.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After reading this thread in its entirety I’m pretty sure that I’m now set on the idea that the fits that stand out most to me are the ones that are trying to force CM to be more casual and are trying hardest to not stand out. That’s not to say I don’t like some of the looks. Some are executed really well but I just don’t see them standing out less than someone in trousers, a sport coat or blazer with an OCBD and maybe a light v neck.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads