• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

how to dress to make head look smaller

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
This picture is shocking even more when it is a great designer such as Ralph Lauren... The jumper is so badly fitted Ralph Lauren appears to have boobs and the trousers are plain fugly...
The jumper fits fine, it's either a crease captured by the photo that wouldn't be noticed in person...or he does have boobs.

Jay Gatsby

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ACACRefugee
Cary Grant was self conscious of his disproportionally large head and adjusted his wardrobe and tailoring accordingly. There's a lot of useful advice in the book that addressed this -- Cary Grant: A Celebration of Style, by Richard Torrgrossa.

Thanks for pointing out this book.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Without a photo, all I could recommend would be:
- keep your hair short (military cut).
- wear brighter coloured shirts. Explore patterned shirts (stripes, etc.) or textured shirts. Avoid dark and/or plain shirts.
- if you wear ties, avoid thin ties. Go for a tie that is 3.25"-3.5" wide, proportionate to your size.
- wear a nice fedora in cooler months, and a nice Panama hat in summer (wide brim)
- stay away from the 'slim fit' shirts & suits. They won't work on you.
- swim 5 days a week. Side strokes and espesially butterfly. This will build up the shoulders.

Would you be willing to post a photo of yourself? You can black out the eyes if you want.
This would help us make more useful suggestions for you.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cut away collars and large tie knot are a good way to start, the bigger you go on the tie and collar the smaller your head will apperar.

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint
Without a photo, all I could recommend would be:
- keep your hair short (military cut).
- wear brighter coloured shirts. Explore patterned shirts (stripes, etc.) or textured shirts. Avoid dark and/or plain shirts.
- if you wear ties, avoid thin ties. Go for a tie that is 3.25"-3.5" wide, proportionate to your size.
- wear a nice fedora in cooler months, and a nice Panama hat in summer (wide brim)
- stay away from the 'slim fit' shirts & suits. They won't work on you.
- swim 5 days a week. Side strokes and espesially butterfly. This will build up the shoulders.

Would you be willing to post a photo of yourself? You can black out the eyes if you want.
This would help us make more useful suggestions for you.

This is quite interesting. What would you recommend me that have a narrow and small head. Too pale and skinny , like fido dido ? http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/l...fidodido-1.jpg

Mr. Sartorial

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpallaCamiccia
This is quite interesting. What would you recommend me that have a narrow and small head. Too pale and skinny , like fido dido ? http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/l...fidodido-1.jpg

If I may: What I'd suggest for you would be more of the spread or cutaway collars on shirts, there's no need accentuate your lean face with a point collar. Keep your ties, knots, and lapels slim to not overpower your face. You may also want to go with tailored, higher-buttoned 2-button or even a three button suit to keep your body from looking to long and lean. You'll want tailored shirts, not super slim, and not too baggy, which will make it look like you don't fit into anything. As for colours, it depends on your eye colour and hair colour in addition to your skin colour. With casual shirts like polos, keep them a little more buttoned up to reduce the length of the line leading down your collar to the lowest button: this will avoid visually lengthening your facial structure. Hair is best kept trim or down to avoid lengthening your face by having it up. Again, keeping all of your clothes tailored and the right fit is crucial to putting your best foot forward.

I hope that helps!

Canal Directo

Reaction score
Wearing jackets with extended and padded shoulders will help balance the size of your head.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MacDaddy
David Byrne is the first person I thought of too.

That's a well-fitted suit..
laugh.gif

David Byrne is just great...

JensenH

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dagger88
i have a pretty big head (23inches) compared to body(chest 37) , what or how should i wear my clothes to make it appear smaller?

Wear jackets with slightly padded shoulders, as that will add bulk and make your torso appear larger.

Keep your hair closely cropped and avoid up-swept hairdo. If you wear eyeglasses, avoid large, dark frames, wear medium-sized frameless glasses instead. Avoid cut-away collar shirts and huge windsor knots.

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Sartorial
If I may: What I'd suggest for you would be more of the spread or cutaway collars on shirts, there's no need accentuate your lean face with a point collar. Keep your ties, knots, and lapels slim to not overpower your face. You may also want to go with tailored, higher-buttoned 2-button or even a three button suit to keep your body from looking to long and lean. You'll want tailored shirts, not super slim, and not too baggy, which will make it look like you don't fit into anything. As for colours, it depends on your eye colour and hair colour in addition to your skin colour. With casual shirts like polos, keep them a little more buttoned up to reduce the length of the line leading down your collar to the lowest button: this will avoid visually lengthening your facial structure. Hair is best kept trim or down to avoid lengthening your face by having it up. Again, keeping all of your clothes tailored and the right fit is crucial to putting your best foot forward.

I hope that helps!

Thanks for your help.

I love cutaway and wide spread collars. But I like wider napoli lapels and ultra waist reduced. My eye color is light brown and my hair is blond to red. I love lower instance jackets and 3, 2,5 roll ones.
My ties are usual 3,5 . I don´t like skinny ones. Perhaps I am too conservative, as I live in the 50s, having just 32 .

I found a picture yesterday on the forum of one guy who looks as me ( well he looks more handsome) I´ll bet his suit is Canali right? He could pass as a cousin of me. Thanks!

Mr. Sartorial

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpallaCamiccia
Thanks for your help.

I love cutaway and wide spread collars. But I like wider napoli lapels and ultra waist reduced. My eye color is light brown and my hair is blond to red. I love lower instance jackets and 3, 2,5 roll ones.
My ties are usual 3,5 . I don´t like skinny ones. Perhaps I am too conservative, as I live in the 50s, having just 32 .

I found a picture yesterday on the forum of one guy who looks as me ( well he looks more handsome) I´ll bet his suit is Canali right? He could pass as a cousin of me. Thanks!

Well when it comes to ties, you definitely don't want to go *too* skinny. Just 2.5-3", around there. 3.5" seems really wide for most modern suits. At the end of the day it comes down to wearing what you feel the most comfortable in because having confidence in what you're wearing is much better than wearing certain things just to change the appearance of your proportions. Blues like that guys is wearing there would be perfect for your eye/skin/hair colour.

Hope that helps!

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Sartorial
Well when it comes to ties, you definitely don't want to go *too* skinny. Just 2.5-3", around there. 3.5" seems really wide for most modern suits. At the end of the day it comes down to wearing what you feel the most comfortable in because having confidence in what you're wearing is much better than wearing certain things just to change the appearance of your proportions. Blues like that guys is wearing there would be perfect for your eye/skin/hair colour.

Hope that helps!

I prefer 3,5 ties. It's a matter of taste.

Please help me here
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=181965

Thanks

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads