• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to dress more manly/"butch"?

JMusic

Reaction score
So I moved to Los Angeles three years ago and I guess over time my fashion sense unknowngly became more in tune with the other "metro" guys that live here.

Anyway, my family is forcing me to go back to college in January (I turn 21 on the 5th). A conservative college that's basically in the middle of nowhere.

Problem is... I didn't think about my clothing style ever being an issue until this winter break, when I visited some cousins I hadn't seen for a few years and was teased about "how queer I dress now". The thing is, I'm not that up and up on fashion to begin with. And while I do have a few items from Dolce and Versace, there's nothing in my wardrobe that I would consider flamboyant at all.

So the question is, what brands/styles are considered more "bro" and less "metro"? The most I've been able to get out of non-LA-based friends is "wear Ed Hardy" or "wear Abercrombie", but I was hoping for a more in depth idea of what seperates these ways of dressing.

F475

Reaction score
Flannel shirts, steel-toed boots, "dungarees", lots of sports team logos and a baseball cap?
Oh, wife-beater too..
laugh.gif

X-Calibre

Reaction score
Originally Posted by F475
Flannel shirts, steel-toed boots, "dungarees", lots of sports team logos and a baseball cap?
Oh, wife-beater too..
laugh.gif

Here on Style forum we prefer Domestic Partner Beater, thank you.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can't be serious and I therefore conclude that you are actually gay. The trick to dressing straight is to not think about what you're wearing at all.

Since you must disguise this fact, I'd suggest some jeans, a t-shirt, and a hoodie. Hiking boots or dark sneakers for footwear. Lose any scarves and jewellery.

Eccentric

Reaction score
You seem to have an image problem, not wanting to be viewed as a "queer". Changing your clothing is one way to change this image, but I doubt it will make you happy if you post here. Your best bet is going to be finding another way to tweak your image.

Take up pipe smoking and be something of an eccentric. Then you are just weird. Another way to right your image would be to sleep with a lot of women. I mean enough women so as to have a reputation for being most definately straight. Either of those should correct your problem.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my_name_is_earl_cast.jpg

These guys know how to dress manly. There's even an episode about the one with the moustache teaching a gay guy how to be and dress manly.

JMusic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
You can't be serious and I therefore conclude that you are actually gay. The trick to dressing straight is to not think about what you're wearing at all.

Since you must disguise this fact, I'd suggest some jeans, a t-shirt, and a hoodie. Hiking boots or dark sneakers for footwear. Lose any scarves and jewellery.

Figured someone would say something about that. I'm not. To clarify (grew up with 3 older brothers): when something's queer, it's girly/effeminate. So if anything, they were being demasculating towards me; not questioning my sexuality.

Thing is, I never really DID think about what I was wearing. Hence the reason this family reunion was so surprising. I don't wear scarves or jewelry. In fact, the two days that I spent with them, I wore a Versace t-shirt and True Religion jeans the first day, and a Christian Audigier t-shirt and 7 jeans the second day (and I only know that because I just posted the pictures on Facebook).

Hence the reason I posted here; I want to know what makes an outfit more masculine without going to the extreme of flannel shirts and steal-toed boots.

Originally Posted by Eccentric
You seem to have an image problem, not wanting to be viewed as a "queer".

Like I said above, when something's queer, it's girly/effeminate. So if anything, they were being demasculating towards me; not questioning my sexuality. Two totally different things.

Eccentric

Reaction score
Honestly, more masculine generaly means looking poorly put together, which is why I still think you should look for alternatives. If you bang a lot of women, then there will be no more room to question.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Gah! Stop scaring the children, Uncle Bill, or we'll put you back in the basement until the holidays are over.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
Gah! Stop scaring the children, Uncle Bill, or we'll put you back in the basement until the holidays are over.

Well, technically speaking, dungeon rather than basement is the right term.

103_1673.jpg

- B

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JMusic
Figured someone would say something about that. I'm not. To clarify (grew up with 3 older brothers): when something's queer, it's girly/effeminate. So if anything, they were being demasculating towards me; not questioning my sexuality.

Thing is, I never really DID think about what I was wearing. Hence the reason this family reunion was so surprising. I don't wear scarves or jewelry. In fact, the two days that I spent with them, I wore a Versace t-shirt and True Religion jeans the first day, and a Christian Audigier t-shirt and 7 jeans the second day (and I only know that because I just posted the pictures on Facebook).

Hence the reason I posted here; I want to know what makes an outfit more masculine without going to the extreme of flannel shirts and steal-toed boots.

As effeminacy and homosexuality tend to go hand in hand in popular perception, your distinction really isn't one.

Post the pictures if you have them, although given what you're wearing you'd probably be better served by the street forum.

dbtbandit67

Reaction score
looking for brands that are "manly and butch" defeats the purpose of trying to look "manly and butch." i think the entire mindset is this marlon brando, "i'm going to do what i want, when i want."

so if you really wanted to tone down your clothes (cause i guess you want less attention?) is the buy cheaper brands from more generic stores. like target or walmart. the key is not to overthink it. plain shirts, plain sweaters.

and in no way are ed hardy and abercrombie considered "mainly and butch."

Tumbleweed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by F475
Oh, wife-beater too..
laugh.gif

He didn't say he wanted to dress like a dykey lesbian.

Also I know a few homosexualists who dress like, and are attracted to, the My Name Is Earl look.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads