• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to dress more manly/"butch"?

Fortysomething

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eccentric
Honestly, more masculine generaly means looking poorly put together, which is why I still think you should look for alternatives. If you bang a lot of women, then there will be no more room to question.

Wrong answer. Thank you for playing.

DrPat

Reaction score
The real question is why you will attend a university that has a location and social climate that is not to your liking. You're 21 and have already lived away from your parents for 3 years. Let your feelings be known and hopefully your family will understand.

Eccentric

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fortysomething
Wrong answer. Thank you for playing.

Would you be so kind as to inform me of why that is the wrong answer?

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
cousins R **** but don't know it yet. sad

laugh.gif
teacha.gif

F475

Reaction score
Originally Posted by winston
Don't be too hard on his small-town friends. (not that anyone really has been so far) City people will be just as prejudiced when it comes to how the country boys dress.

As for dressing manly and butch, well, what could be more butch than, say, dressing head to toe in leather? Perhaps you could dress like you're in the military. Try a naval uniform. Those construction workers are very manly, too. Just a few ideas.

Great suggestions. Law enforcement officers are pretty butch too.. Or what could be manlier than cowboys and indians?
laugh.gif

villagepeople.jpg

Fortysomething

Reaction score
Would you be so kind as to inform me of why that is the wrong answer?

Looking more masculine does not look poorly put together as you put it. Perhaps I jumped on your statement, and perhaps it depends on one's definition of masculine, but looking masculine (at to me) does not mean throwing on any ol thing that makes one looks manly. One can look quite masculine and be rather well dressed. I guess two examples would be James Dean and Paul Newman. Masculine doesn't mean white trash or exaggeratedly country.

Looking masculine and how many women you bed don't go hand in hand.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by F475
Great suggestions. Law enforcement officers are pretty butch too.. Or what could be manlier than cowboys and indians?
laugh.gif

Well, US military officers are pretty darned butch. You should consider enrolling in ROTC or something.

(And military women are sexy in their own way. There is nothing sexier than dating a woman who looks dapper in her military uniform - and can kick your ass.)

GloStiX

Reaction score
military jackets, tops with epaulets in general

Dog-tag, from ur local army recruiter, they'll even engrave ur name on it
smile.gif

looser t-shirts, don't wear muscle shirts or rly short-sleeved Ed Hardy

a biker/bomber style jacket

TImbalandz, yo

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few ideas:

darker colors
clothing that's a bit less fitted than what you wear now

Since you're 21, I don't see why you're going to the school in question. In any case, though, why don't you wait and see what the denizens of the place wear? Then you can easily dress to fit in if that's what you wish to do.

Steggy

Reaction score
college student?

destroyed jeans and leather flip flops, accompanied by a band t shirt with an unbuttoned oxford over it. acoustic guitar optional.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking more masculine does not look poorly put together as you put it. Perhaps I jumped on your statement, and perhaps it depends on one's definition of masculine, but looking masculine (at to me) does not mean throwing on any ol thing that makes one looks manly. One can look quite masculine and be rather well dressed. I guess two examples would be James Dean and Paul Newman. Masculine doesn't mean white trash or exaggeratedly country.

James Dean and Paul Newman are both **** icons. You sound **** and afraid to show it.

Eccentric

Reaction score

Fair enough, but I think you are missing part of what I am saying. Dressing masculine and being perceived as masculine are two very different things. I am simply suggesting a different approach.

Fortysomething

Reaction score
Fair enough, but I think you are missing part of what I am saying. Dressing masculine and being perceived as masculine are two very different things. I am simply suggesting a different approach.

Yes, I agree with what you said about 'dressing masculine' and 'being percieved as masculine" being two distinct things. If the OP is trying come across as more masculine, then clothes alone won't do it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads