• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to dress like an innocent man

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is plenty of talk about how to dress as a lawyer, what color shirts, what patterened suits, etc. But I'm interested in something a little different.

I'll be appearing in court, not as a lawyer, but instead as the (wrongfully) accused. What should(n't) I wear? I have a 3 piece herringbone suit in gray that I plan on wearing with a white French cuff shirt, silver links, white with yellow felt lapel flower (from Mr. K!), white cotton PS, a gray wool medium brim fedora, and Allen Edmonds Bel Air in black calf. Probably black socks, possibly with argyle. Any objections? Will this outfit get me off? I want to look like a God fearing, upstanding citizen who would never commit a felony even if he was dared to. Thanks in advance!

twosnapsandgo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by landshark
There is plenty of talk about how to dress as a lawyer, what color shirts, what patterened suits, etc. But I'm interested in something a little different.

I'll be appearing in court, not as a lawyer, but instead as the (wrongfully) accused. What should(n't) I wear? I have a 3 piece herringbone suit in gray that I plan on wearing with a white French cuff shirt, silver links, white with yellow felt lapel flower (from Mr. K!), white cotton PS, a gray wool medium brim fedora, and Allen Edmonds Bel Air in black calf. Probably black socks, possibly with argyle. Any objections? Will this outfit get me off? I want to look like a God fearing, upstanding citizen who would never commit a felony even if he was dared to. Thanks in advance!

Something like this will do

article-1034709-01F0791A00000578-80_306x303.jpg

209-818_large.jpg

crinklecut

Reaction score
While you're wasting time here on StyleForum, you could be out searching for that one-armed man.

eMacPaul

Reaction score
I think I'd skip the fedora.

Grenadier

Reaction score

No french cuffs, no lapel flower, no pocket square, no fedora, and no vest.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Not like this guy:
shawshanktrial1.jpg
"I'm innocent, remember? Just like everybody else here." It was definitely the chalk stripe suit that resulted in the guilty verdict. And the wide lapels. Made him look like a thug. Stick with a solid navy or gray suit with more moderate lapels.

Edicron

Reaction score
Basics, nothing flashy; white shirt, tie, navy or black pants, plain shoes and maybe a separate low key jacket. The jacket is debatable; don't appear wealthy, try look like an upper middle class guy who is dressed for the office.

That's my intuitive answer but then again I believe psychological studies have also shown that rich folk are perceived as more trustworthy than the have nots. In that case dressing like a lawyer might not be a bad idea...

Hippo

Reaction score
This must be a troll thread. There's no way you're seriously planning on wearing a three piece, fedora and lapel flower to your trial as a criminal defendant. Right?

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well, this depends on the charges.

1) If it's a non-white-collar crime, then dress as nicely as you please.
~caveat~ If it's a PWID case or a Federal drug case, see #2.
2) If it's white collar, involving sums of money, dress as tradly and unassuming as possible.
3) If it's civil involving substantial damages, see #2.

Note: I am not your lawyer. This is merely sartorial advice. We have not created a sartor/client relationship with this post.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
'Human Being' according to Ballentines Law Dictionary human being See MONSTER. —Ballentine's Law Dictionary (1930) monster A human being by birth, but in some part resembling a lower animal. A monster hath no inheritable blood, and cannot be heir to any land. —Ballentine's Law Dictionary (1930) Even if the above quotes are not in print today, it doesn't matter. Prosecutor's job is to make you look like a monster anyway. Their job is to toss as much muck at you as possible to see what sticks. When you listen to the crap they say in court, be a tree in the forest. say nothing. Listen, as though you were listening to someone elses story..without emotion. Dress modestly. Clean but not pretentious. Have a briefcase. It looks good on the table. Tell your lawyer you are prepared to make a charitable donation of (whatever you can afford), and have him/her make that known to the judge. Invite all family and friends to your trial. Their presence shows the judge someone cared enough about you to take the day off work, and therefore suggests you have redeemable qualities. If you can avoid speaking at your trial then do so. The more you speak, the more you hang yourself. Let your lawyer do the talking. Research all that your lawyer is legally binded to do for you once retained. Never trust your lawyer. He works for you. You are the boss, so make damned sure he/she is doing their job, which is to fearlessly and tirelessly defend you. Remember the words of Sun Tzu: 'Every battle is won or lost..before it is ever fought.' so do your homework because your lawyer will 'do a deal' before you step foot in the courtroom. Make certain you are informed every step of the way before any such deals are arranged. I am not a lawyer, but I wish you success. Since we have lawyers here on SF, it would be interesting to read their tips, if they would be so kind to post.

twosnapsandgo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint
'Human Being' according to Ballentines Law Dictionary

human being See MONSTER.
"”Ballentine's Law Dictionary (1930)

monster A human being by birth, but in some part resembling a lower animal. A monster hath no inheritable blood, and cannot be heir to any land.
"”Ballentine's Law Dictionary (1930)

Even if the above quotes are not in print today, it doesn't matter.
Prosecutor's job is to make you look like a monster anyway.
Their job is to toss as much muck at you as possible to see what sticks.
When you listen to the crap they say in court, be a tree in the forest. say nothing.
Listen, as though you were listening to someone elses story..without emotion.

Dress modestly. Clean but not pretentious. Have a briefcase. It looks good on the table.
Tell your lawyer you are prepared to make a charitable donation of (whatever you can afford),
and have him/her make that known to the judge.
Invite all family and friends to your trial. Their presence shows the judge someone cared enough about you to take the day off work, and therefore suggests you have redeemable qualities.
If you can avoid speaking at your trial then do so. The more you speak, the more you hang yourself. Let your lawyer do the talking.
Research all that your lawyer is legally binded to do for you once retained.
Never trust your lawyer. He works for you. You are the boss, so make damned sure he/she is doing their job, which is to fearlessly and tirelessly defend you.
Remember the words of Sun Tzu: 'Every battle is won or lost..before it is ever fought.'
so do your homework because your lawyer will 'do a deal' before you step foot in the courtroom.
Make certain you are informed every step of the way before any such deals are arranged.

I am not a lawyer, but I wish you success.
Since we have lawyers here on SF, it would be interesting to read their tips, if they would be so kind to post.

Before you go on and on and on, he could just be going to court to appeal a traffic ticket. I knew by your fourth sentence that you were not a lawyer.

I remember this one pretencious lawyer who came to court wearing a teal turtleneck and a brown suede suit jacket. The judge called his case, and immediately kicked him out of court for his dress attire. It is moments like that I wish I could get on camera. "A man who is his own lawyer has a fool for his client" What do you do when your lawyer is the fool?

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by crinklecut
While you're wasting time here on StyleForum, you could be out searching for that one-armed man.

If he'd shaved he would have gotten off. Everybody knows that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads