• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to Dress Like a Man

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I thought this little essay would be good for some debate around here:

http://www.lewrockwell.com/tucker/tucker38.html

One thing I've recalled over the years from that article is his distinction between presentable and practical clothing. I was reminded of it while reading the Saturday thread. I admit to posting the link without having re-read the essay recently, but as I said, I post in any case in the interests of discussion, not by way of full-throated endorsement. I can't remember whether he says things that, today, I would find slightly embarrassing.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmmm...Let's see:

If men could absorb that simple lesson, the world would be a much more beautiful place in which to live. Elevated dressing causes people to behave better. Crime might fall. Manners would begin to come back. People might clean up their language. They might listen to better music and read better books. Something resembling civilization might return.

On shoes, there are only two brands that qualify as quality shoes: Allen Edmonds and Alden. All others are junk.

This guy is a bore and a self-righteous bastard. Thanks, but no thanks.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
Hmmm...Let's see:

This guy is a bore and a self-righteous bastard. Thanks, but no thanks.

See? It's working already!
sly.gif

coachvu

Reaction score
In the article, he says people who don't shave are slobs, yet his picture clearly shows him with scruff.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]
Americans do not wear hard-shoulders! Nor do Americans wear those crazy drop-lapel sexy-style models that Bill Clinton wore.
1. Bill Clinton's suits were fine for his character and position, and I certainly liked them. 2. Americans also voted for George Bush.
[/FONT]

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Yeah. Two or three is for normal jackets... four or five is for Nehru collars, which you wouldn't wear as a business suit anyways.

bryce330

Reaction score
That's one of the worst clothing-related things I've ever read. Truly embarrassing.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A competent tailor will ask what side you "Dress" before cutting your trousers.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
A competent tailor will ask what side you "Dress" before cutting your trousers.
I think they should cut the PC act and just flat out ask which side your wang goes on usually.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Does that not read like a trad manifesto?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads