How to dress in good Italian restaurants (NY)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by epa, Apr 4, 2008.

1. marc237

marc237 Senior member

I like L'Impero, but will agree not cheap.

2. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

What NY places do you consider good? The best I've ever had was a tiny little place in the Village, whose name escapes me. Red sauce Italian ain't all bad. Fresco in midtown is great. Bice is a high end, non-red sauce Italian, but as Matt notes, they have to dress up the food to impress the midtown diner, and the prices are horrible.
    You are likely thinking of Il Mulino, which is famous for being one of the best Italian Restaurants in NY and is in the Village. I have never been. You might also have been thinking of Po (another place I have never been), which was a Mario Battali restaurant. I know this because the Food Network runs 24/7 in my house. We lured my daughter into going to a day camp that Battali's kids went to, saying she might meet him at drop-off.

3. Clench Million

Clench Million Senior member

GT - seriously... that's not funny.

You made that same joke about Indian food in NY - that was OK. But Italian food? You cannot be serious. There is more "real Italian" food in NYC than anywhere else outside of Italy. It's probably the most concentrated Italian diaspora in the world. I don't know sh!t about "real Indian" food, but I know "real Italian" food when I see it

I'd add that I've had much better Italian food in NYC than I did when I was leaving in Paris (which obviously, is much closer)

People from Chicago always have an INSANE inferiority complex towards NYC.

The idea that Chicago would have more authentic italian restaurants than NYC is completely insane, but fits with the typical attitude from that city I think.

4. lefty

lefty Senior member

While there is good Italian food in the city, there is an abundance of shitty Italian food or American-Italian food. You can usually tell because the shitty places will bring you a pound of pasta and drop the last vowel when describing the food ... "The linguin is pretty good tonight and the prosciutt is always great."

Don't even get me started on foyer and chaise longue.

lefty

5. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

You are likely thinking of Il Mulino, which is famous for being one of the best Italian Restaurants in NY and is in the Village. I have never been. You might also have been thinking of Po (another place I have never been), which was a Mario Battali restaurant.

No on both counts. I wish I could remember. I think it was on Hudson Street, or maybe Greenwich. It was very small, no more than two tables wide, and maybe 10 deep. The night I was there, every other table seemed to be filled with 21-year-old 5' 11" models, so it's possible that the food was not that great, but I just remember it that way.

6. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

Thank you, matt ezplained exactly what I meant. I would rather eat in the autogrill in rome trmini than in most italian resteraunts in the us. Not because the food is bad, some is very good, I just really like authentic italian. I even enjoy the occasional red sauce type meal, but after trying maybe 10 or 15 'italian places' in the greater ny area I just stoped trying.

Here's what I like - a few slices of good sulami, maybe an articoke or a zucini flower, a pasta dish with maybe 3or 4 ingredients, maybe some bolito misto, and a little bowl of berries.

Can you get that all over nyc? It seems to me that ny italian places throw 3 or 4 different pasta sauces together - alfredo with short ribs and eggplant, or carbonara with lobster and pieces of gold foil.

I agree with you. There are some very good Italian inspired restaurants, but real, good Italian food does not play well in the US as it is too simple to justify the prices that top quality ingredients necessitate. If you gussy it up a bit, then you can charge NY prices.

7. Clench Million

I've honestly seen nothing like that at all in NYC.
    Last italian place I went to I had suckling pig with broccoli rabe and some potatoes cooked in olive oil with a bit of rosemary on them. No sauces at all, much less four of them mixed with lobster and gold foil.

8. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

Hey, GD, while my spelling is awful, I try to use very accurate language - I said I had bad luck. I don't know that there are a lot of authentic italian places in chicago, but there is one, very close to my house. Owned by an italian with all italian staff.

Also, I was a lot tighter for disposable income in nyc

People from Chicago always have an INSANE inferiority complex towards NYC.

The idea that Chicago would have more authentic italian restaurants than NYC is completely insane, but fits with the typical attitude from that city I think.

9. Clench Million

Okay, my bad, I take it back. I do know a lot of people from chicago who act like that, but I apologize for jumping to that assumption with you.

10. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

GT - sorry someone forced you to eat gold foils in NYC but it's by no means representative of the Italian cuisine here. There are high end as well as simple neighborhood Italian restaurants just like in Italy.

Also, it's a bit insulting to Italy as a whole to say that their cuisine is limted to slices of salami and pasta cacio e pepe. They're not stuck in the past - there are great innovative restaurants in Rome and Milan too. "Real italian" food is not just hole-in-a-wall trattoria food

11. haganah

haganah Senior member

I like gusto in the village. It's not spectacular but it's also not extremely expensive. My one gem, I will never share. I don't want you chachis showing up there in your muscle shirts.

12. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Fashion Hayzus

I've lived in Italy and while the eating was good...I don't have any romanticism or fondness for it.

In NY I will go to Abocatto, Del Posto, Babbo, the one across the street from Trestle on Tenth and Bottino (GDL will know it) and I hear that Mia Dona is supposed to be good. I've yet to try Il Cantinori or Il Mulino.

13. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

^^^ Pepe Giallo

14. bobdobalina

bobdobalina Senior member

Ever been to Federal Hill in Providence? I'm far too lowbrow to credibly argue about what's more "authentic," but I've gone 5/5 in Federal Hill, while batting about .250 in New York, and .000 in Boston. The food there is just, erm, better, in my experience.

There is more "real Italian" food in NYC than anywhere else outside of Italy. It's probably the most concentrated Italian diaspora in the world. I don't know sh!t about "real Indian" food, but I know "real Italian" food when I see it

I'd add that I've had much better Italian food in NYC than I did when I was leaving in Paris (which obviously, is much closer)

15. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

"Little Italy" restaurants -- whether North Beach, the North End, Mulberry Street, whatever -- tend to be lame across the board.