• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to dress in a more interesting way

Last Year's Man

Reaction score
As a long-time lurker of styleforum I have found i general that your aesthetic appeals to me. This post is inteded simultaneously as a request for assistance and as a introduction.

First, some background, I am a relatively newly qualified high-school teacher at a suburban grammar school in the UK where the dress code for teachers is relatively relaxed i.e no jeans, no t-shirts, no trainers. I've always attempted to dress in a slightly more 'refined' way than the general population and have never been averse to standing out a little in the crowd.

On to the specifics of my request, I am seekig ways to add a little iterest to my wardrobe, without comig across as too much of a dandy (or a "posh twat" as my students would more likely have it). Ideally I do't want to look too 'old-man-ish' as I'm still young enough to have some claim to a rapport with my students and would rather not alienate myself to them. I also have to avoid being too perceived as too 'out-there' and fashion-forward by the senior management (though as a rule they are pretty liberal when it comes to dress codes).

My current wardrobe for work consists mostly of odd jackets with grey flannel trousers or chinos. As an Englishman I have a particular love for tweed and heavy wool jackets. I tend to wear these with plain white or blue oxford cloth shirts and relatively plain ties, sometimes a bow tie if I'm feeling brave
bigstar[1].gif
. I just wanted some ideas on how to make these outfits more interesting and you seemed like the right guys to ask.

Thanks in advance.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Last Year's Man
My current wardrobe for work consists mostly of odd jackets with grey flannel trousers or chinos. As an Englishman I have a particular love for tweed and heavy wool jackets. I tend to wear these with plain white or blue oxford cloth shirts and relatively plain ties, sometimes a bow tie if I'm feeling brave
bigstar[1].gif
. I just wanted some ideas on how to make these outfits more interesting and you seemed like the right guys to ask.

Thanks in advance.

Wear some more interesting ties.
Pocket squares in various colours.
Make sure your jackets are tailored.

Last Year's Man

Reaction score
You make it sound so simple...
smile.gif

I've always been a little wary about pattern matching, any tips?

Also, does anyone know where to get good quality pocket squares and ties for a reasonable price? I'd love to go to Drake's of London but I just can't afford £90 ties and £50 pocket squares on a teachers starting salary.

Macallan

Reaction score
Trousers - cords, moleskins and chino in different colours, e.g. http://www.newandlingwood.com/category.php?id=37

Socks - blue, navy, red, forest green, med-green, orange, yellow, gold, biege etc or coloured patterned socks like argyle.

Pocket squares - I like Duchamp squares; http://malfordoflondon.com is worth a look they have pockets and some ties too.

Cufflinks - if you wear double-cuff shirts, buy cufflinks especially silk knot cufflinks (http://www.clermontdirect.com/cuffli...s-c-41_59.html)

Introduce some coloured shirts slowly into your shirt- rotation or when you need to replace some shirts.

Marcellionheart

Reaction score
As a former teacher in the UK (Now teaching in Canada), I can say that suits are never out of place in the classroom, at least in the schools I worked in in London. Also, the kids got a big kick out of my bowties and braces. Try suede shoes as well in colours other than black or brown.

I actually really liked TM Lewin's selection of ties for that price point £22 each. Pocket squares are best found on the Internet, imo. Try some knit ties as well. Cords and moleskins are a perennial winter favourite as well and can be gotten from Charles Tyrwhitt on a teacher's salary

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You make it sound so simple...
smile.gif
I've always been a little wary about pattern matching, any tips?

Size of the pattern is everything. You can put stripes together if they're different stripes- when the size and width of the stripes are too close, you have a disaster. But an oxford stripe shirt can pair nicely with a suit that has a fine pinstripe or a nice bold regimental tie, though for you brits those actually mean something, so you might want to avoid them. Here in the US, they're just generic patterns. You'll also want to anchor any two louder pieces with a solid or something close to it. The striped suit and shirt would be worn with something like a navy tie- to add texture and interest while still anchoring the look, wear a knit or a grenadine. If you learn by seeing, the WAYWRN has great examples every day.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Make sure the clothes are fitting well. I'd skip the bow-ties and neckties most of the time, maybe wear them once or twice per week. Tweed? It will be perceived as old man-ish. Don't forget you will be dealing with high-school students. You want them to relate to you particularly in terms of clothing. That doesn't mean you have to wear skinny black jeans that are falling off your ass, but you do have to realize that most of the teens really follow the mainstream culture and actors like Pattisson (or w/e his name is) etc. Try wearing darker colors, interesting shirts, skinny ties, etc. Understand what your pupils like, then take it a step further. But most importantly, it's about the way you treat your students. Strict, but fair. On the point, but not boring. Don't be afraid of them, they have to know you don't care what they think of you, even if it's not true. Edit: Oh, crap, I thought you were from the US... Then I'm not sure this applies. When I briefly went to high-school in London, we had to wear gray suits, white shirts, red ties combos every day. Edit #2: Get some interesting pocket squares here: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...149635&page=12 And a white linen one here (shameless plug): http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=218656

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just channel you're inner Magatu
Mugatu-zoolander-602176_338_238.jpg

MaxH

Reaction score
My current wardrobe for work consists mostly of odd jackets with grey flannel trousers or chinos. As an Englishman I have a particular love for tweed and heavy wool jackets. I tend to wear these with plain white or blue oxford cloth shirts and relatively plain ties, sometimes a bow tie if I'm feeling brave.

If you opt for tweed jackets and bow tie, another accessory you will need is a large blue box.

Marcellionheart

Reaction score
As a teacher, it's important to be authentic. If you're not the type to wear suits or tweed or corduroy, then you and your students will know that and you'll look and feel silly. Be authentic with yourself and in your teaching and you'll find that everything will flow more smoothly.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
bigstar[1].gif

You're already done.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics