• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to dress down my Grey/Taupe Suit?

kazzy

Reaction score
I like the suit as pictured -- with a solid white shirt and light blue accented tie. However, I'd like to casualize the ensemble for more versatility. As you can see from my post count, I'm a newbie and don't have a grasp on matching colors/patterns and shoes at this point (more on that below). I also make up words, like casualize.

8495_front.jpg

8495_side.jpg

New member, first post; obligatory short intro: I've lived my entire adult life in Hawaii, where aloha shirts are considered formal wear and flip flops are damn near business-casual. A year ago, I moved to Europe, specifically Germany, and I feel like a hobo next to these dapper mofos. I've decided to scrap my entire wardrobe and revamp my image. However, I need help and I've seen how brutal you guys are to the unsartorial... and I believe that is just what I need.

This is also my first suit. I don't know how I feel about the second side-pocket, but beggars can't be choosiers.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The second side pocket, i.e. a ticket pocket, is a nice feature. The suit itself, is already inherently casual as it is 1. A brownish/grey/taupe color, and 2. it is corduroy. Make sure you get it altered to fit you well. To make it more casual, go without a tie, get white shirts with subtle checks or plaids. wear a pocketsquare, and wear the jacket and trousers separately on occasion.

Poindexter

Reaction score
Wo, that's one nice suit, brah. Where you stay, Honolulu? We no more da kine in Maui. Best bet, teh thrift. Where you got 'em? Cream turtle, navy turtle, med blue shirt and contrasting tie, def the brown shooz. Try some stuff. Play grownup in front of the mirror. It'll talk to you. This soot has some character; relate to that baby.

kazzy

Reaction score
@Mr. Moo: thank you. prior to your reply, i had looked at the fray you're selling for this suit. though the sleeves are 1" shorter than what i was measured at, not sure how big a deal that is.
confused.gif

@landshark: i bought the suit because it's a little more casual. i was hoping to mix and match, hence the versatility comment. it's rather comical... i was in photoshop playing with colors and didn't even think to just take off the damn tie.
facepalm.gif

@pocketsquareguy: how important is the shade of blue? one of the issues i was having was figuring out the rules on matching colors. from a distance, it looks gray. up close, it looks brown.

@Poindexter: kaneohe. i've got family in honolulu and in-laws on maui. this is a cashco zegna for neiman marcus, so i suppose i could have bought it in honolulu if i were still there. however, i bought it online as i haven't found a single thrift shop here in germany. i don't know where their old clothes go to die.

So... how about shoes? I literally have one pair at this point, but they're for winter and frankly i'm afraid to wear them (brooks brothers shearling dress boots).

koolhistorian

Reaction score
Shoes wise - buy a pair of suede shoes, brown.
As for ties and shirts - any cashmere tie will look good, also knitted, oxford pinpoint shirts (blue or white), brown or cream turtlenecks. But keep in mind - it is a casual (corduroy) suit, good for cold weather. Even if Germany is not the most stylish place in Europe, do not show at a somewhat formal wedding in that.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Light blue dress shirt with that.

When it's okay to wear a darker blue dress shirt with a jacket would make an interesting thread.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics