• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to dress at luxury restaurants and hotels

WorldTravelBro

Reaction score
I stayed at the Wynn to watch a boxing match. I went by myself and enjoyed every moment.

One thing I noticed is most of the people that would approach me or talk to me were very, very well dressed.

I was dressing how I normally do, jeans, polo shirt, common projects.

When I saw some of these people it almost screamed wow these guys are successful just because how they dressed.

I joined this forum because I need to completely buy a new wardrobe. I will donate all my old clothing.

1. If you can help me find very, very high quality shirts or polo shirt. Maybe I should start with short sleeve shirts?

2. I noticed only one of the guys that talked to me had jeans. All others very fancy dress or chino type pants. My question is what is the highest quality chino or pants?

3. What shoes or boots match well with pants?

I will start with these options. The price does not matter. I am more interested in very, very high quality that screams wow this guy knows how to dress and it must be expensive.

Thank you guys and I have worked very hard and finally want to splurge on clothing so be nice please.

WorldTravelBro

Reaction score
If you can give me a sample set shirt, pants and shoes I would highly appreciate it.

WorldTravelBro

Reaction score
I really like this I just dont think i would wear a tophot and I dont want it to look like I am trying to hard.

if anyone can show me a brand that sells very high quality shirts.. that would be great. I guess I was asking for too much help.

It will be easier if I ask for shirt assistance.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
High Quality shirts:

Charvet, Hilditch and Key, Turnbull and Asser, Emma Willis,
Finamore, Borrelli, Barba, Sean O Flynn, anna Matuozzo,
Battistoni, Fray, Kiton

JJ Katz

Reaction score
I just dont think i would wear a tophot and I dont want it to look like I am trying to hard.

I think that post was facetious / sarcastic.

I guess I was asking for too much help.

It’s not “too much” but it’s a bit broad, for this forum; like someone living in a ratty old dump asking Martha Stewart “how do I make my domestic arrangements excellent?”

I’ll assume you are a serious poster and I’ll provide what I think is a serious answer.

Rather than concentrate very much on ‘top brands’, it sounds like you need to build a fairly basic wardrobe. All the shirt brands listed by “comrade” are indeed quite good brands but you could buy 50 shirts there and still come out looking like a doofus.

My advice to you is to spend a few hours looking through the past couple of years of this thread:

https://www.styleforum.net/threads/...t-now-part-iv-starting-may-2014.394373/unread

You will see almost exclusively:
> conservative but not fuddy-duddy (but especially not too fashiony-tight-short) silhouettes and cuts. This is crucial.

> Colour combinations that make sense; you’ll notice that these repeat over and over: grey suits, navy suits, dark (navy or brown) jacket over medium-lighter grey wool trousers (sometimes the reverse); mostly light blue shirts, sometimes white or stripes shirts (in white and blue)…

Once you feel you’ve absorbed some basics you should consider buying:

1-2 basic suits (navy, charcoal) in whatever weight suits your surroundings, in a classic (not-fashiony) style from a decent supplier.

A half dozen wool or cotton twill trousers in the canonical colours and 3-4 non-matching (‘odd’) jackets.

Any of the shirt retailers listed by “comrade” can sell you the sort of shirts you see in the thread above. Stick to classic cuts and fabrics for the first dozen or so.

Beginning to get the idea?

I’ll let another poster tackle the shoes. The shoes are as important.

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Baton pass.

For shoes, I would recommend starting with two pairs of good quality Goodyear welted shoes if you can afford it. Two pairs will mean that you don't have to wear the same pair on consecutive days, thus giving one pair a chance to rest while also giving a little wardrobe flexibility. As you go along, another few pairs to build up a rotation will give you more wardrobe matching options as well as prolong the life of your shoes.

Oh, and don't forget the shoe trees. One set for each pair of shoes. Shoe trees are important for keeping your shoes in good condition. A decent shoe care kit is also highly recommended.

On to a starter pair:
  • Consider a pair of dark brown cap toe oxfords. This would be a classic shoe that you could match with a suit such as those JJ Katz recommended. You could also wear these with jeans and throw on a sport coat for a stylish casual look.

As a second pair, you could go with:
  • a brogued wingtip or cap toe also in brown for a bit more flair (in a casual way)
  • a plain toe or cap toe oxford or derby in black, but black usually looks best with a dark suit so not as flexible with the wardrobe matching
  • Or maybe a lighter pair of cognac brown shoes in whatever style you like, for a more casual look
There are many, many styles of shoes to choose from, so looking through the "What are you wearing now" thread would also be helpful for shoes.

Decent Goodyear welted shoes at a starting price point you could consider are makers such as:
  • Crockett and Jones
  • Carmina
  • Trickers
  • Alden
  • Allen Edmonds
  • Vass
and many more... just look around the forum and see what you like

Expect to pay somewhere around $400 to $800 for a good pair of shoes. You can get shoes for less money, but I think you really start to sacrifice quality when you go below about $400... and going above $800 or so, you could get yourself some very fine shoes, but you'd be hitting the level of diminishing returns.

I would recommend staying away from fashion brands such as Gucci, Prada, etc. You'd be paying more for the brand name than the quality of the shoe.

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1, 2 and 3. Do not buy short sleeved shirts.

JLPII

Reaction score
I will start with these options. The price does not matter. I am more interested in very, very high quality that screams wow this guy knows how to dress and it must be expensive.

Thank you guys and I have worked very hard and finally want to splurge on clothing so be nice please.

Noted that you wanted to make great expensive impressions.

I live in a tropical country so might not 100% applicable to you (though you can get the idea), but here is how to dress nice and expensively:

1. Get a nice polo shirt, for example Brunello Cucinelli or even Louis Vuitton with the damier pattern checkmark on it.
BGN54VG_mu.jpg

2. Wear a light color linen pants. Like the picture above. Actually you can get a pass even you wear cheap linen pants like Uniqlo IF you wear shoes that I recommended below.

3. Get Berluti wholecut oxfords or if you want to take it up several notches, get those in alligator.
I know here in SF many people don't fancy Berluti, but it does scream expensive and actually the color is pretty nice. And you also get free lifetime polishing service at the store.
679225_mrp_e1_l.jpg

4. Get a proper timepiece. In place where I live, this is actually the most important accessory.
Wear a Patek Philippe Nautilus 5711/5980 in Rose Gold. Or if you don't want to splash that much cash, Audemars Piguet Royal Oak 15400 in Stainless Steel will do fine as well.
And a nice car key (exotic car, or lesser ones in Porsche / Jaguar) dangling on your belt loop certainly will complete the whole package. "Yeap that guy is a baller."

WorldTravelBro

Reaction score
Noted that you wanted to make great expensive impressions.

I live in a tropical country so might not 100% applicable to you (though you can get the idea), but here is how to dress nice and expensively:

1. Get a nice polo shirt, for example Brunello Cucinelli or even Louis Vuitton with the damier pattern checkmark on it.
View attachment 1041370

2. Wear a light color linen pants. Like the picture above. Actually you can get a pass even you wear cheap linen pants like Uniqlo IF you wear shoes that I recommended below.

3. Get Berluti wholecut oxfords or if you want to take it up several notches, get those in alligator.
I know here in SF many people don't fancy Berluti, but it does scream expensive and actually the color is pretty nice. And you also get free lifetime polishing service at the store.
View attachment 1041371

4. Get a proper timepiece. In place where I live, this is actually the most important accessory.
Wear a Patek Philippe Nautilus 5711/5980 in Rose Gold. Or if you don't want to splash that much cash, Audemars Piguet Royal Oak 15400 in Stainless Steel will do fine as well.
And a nice car key (exotic car, or lesser ones in Porsche / Jaguar) dangling on your belt loop certainly will complete the whole package. "Yeap that guy is a baller."

I thought it was serious until I saw the car key dangling from the belt loop lol

I would never do that and have never seen anyone do that lol

Maybe the rest was serious so I will check

JLPII

Reaction score
I thought it was serious until I saw the car key dangling from the belt loop lol

I would never do that and have never seen anyone do that lol

Maybe the rest was serious so I will check

I know it was funny as for me too, but I have seen people do that in cars meet-up.
Kinda similar thing when a guy put his expensive car key on the bar table to impress a lady.

Anyways, Berluti does come with shoe trees like a nice SF member recommended in several posts above.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some solid and well meaning advice there.

I might add / suggest a couple of things. The OP seems to be leaning towards casual wear and a lot of the responses seem to lean towards more business formal wear. Maybe the OP should also look at the CM Casual wear thread.

Also, context is everything.

Does the OP want a wardrobe for office (conservative / casual dress code)?

Or for nights and weekends? (Weather / climate / location)?

His given context was clothes to be worn while staying in a high class hotel which for many / most people takes up a small fraction of the year. Unless he plans on taking up permanent residence in the Wynn then some added context would be helpful!

And those whole cuts look way too formal for the rest of that casual polo and linen strides outfit. My 0.02 YMMV etc.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads