• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to determine if a shoe fits...

epliohunk

Reaction score
I just bought a pair of discounted Ferregamo wingtips. Other than the Steve Maddens I had bought for prom, they are my first pair of dressy shoes.

Because I usually wear sneakers, I have a hard time determining wether they actually fit my size or not. How can I tell?

For reference, I have a pair of Prada loafers in size 6 that are unfortunarely too small, so I'm guessing I'm a size 6.5. The Ferregamos are size 7.

Thank you!!

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Foe me if it dosen't look too big and dose not feel tight on me or is too hard to get on then I know it fits. I do wear diffrent sizes depending on certain makers I have worn sizes 9 1/2 up to 10 1/2 so I can't really know what size is going to work for me without trying it on first.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Dude, this is just going to take trial and error. Be patient when in the store and try on different shoes in different sizes and walk around in them for more than 30 seconds. It also takes experience to try on a pair of shoes that feel tight widthwise in the store but will stretch out to be perfect after several wearings.

For me, the first criteria is length. You will never be able to stretch out lengthwise. If the length is perfect but the width is too much, then visualize wearing them with thicker socks. Also, be aware of how the shoe feels on top of your foot - you don't want it too tight up there because they will cause you misery when the nerves in that area get irritated. You will feel the pressure right there; and if you feel it then, in the store, imagine what it feels like walking or standing all day in them.

epliohunk

Reaction score
They are at the moment slightly "rigid" but I find them comfortable.

I've tried several shoes and do see the difference with the ones that were too big. It's just that because the end is pointy-ish, I don't know where about my big toe should reach. Therefore, I'm scared that when they break-in, I'll be like "oh, there was that much place left".

It was so much easier when I was a kid! "Can you fit more than one finger behind?", "Yes?", "Too big!". (I can't fit more than one finger in my new shoes, haha).

Icarium

Reaction score
I got excited about shoes recently-ish myself and sort of had the same questions initally. This may not be the answer you are looking are, but I found that the best way is to try on copious amounts of shoes. Try on shoes from various lasts in all sorts of lengths and widths. Eventually you'll find a couple where you put it on and think, "Aha!" From that point on, you will know what a properly-fitting shoe feels like. I like them snug around the instep and heel, with enough room to play a sonata with my toes. Also, watch out for shoes that fit in the heel but are too tight at the ball of the foot. It may not feel so bad at first, but try wearing them all day. Your foot will not be pleased.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads