• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to design custom tie/pocket square storage in a walk-in?

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a friend who is designing his own walk in closet as part of a renovation. He wants to put in a number of shallow shelves for small accessories, particularly ties, pocket squares, cuff links and belts. How should he design these?

For ties, for example, is it better to have shallow (4 inch) wide drawers and just put folded ties there like you see in store displays? Or should you have small, shallow cubbyholes (3.5 x 3.5 inches) to put rolled ties in?

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Personally, I like ties hung up. This may or may not be the best way to care for them, but it certainly makes life simple when choosing which to wear. Lacking the room for a walk in wardrobe, I make do with those hangers where you can hang 30 ties at a time on each. It's easy to see what you have and which you want to wear. I don't like drawers, because you can't see all of them in one go, and they have a tendency to get a little tangled unless you're careful. Having said that, IIRC vox used those shallow drawers in his wardrobe so if you want to see an example, there's probably a photo floating around in someone's cache, somewhere. Rolled ties in cubbyholes seems very space-inefficient to me, as well as a bit precious, even for me.

PS. long time no see in this forum; hope life is treating you well.

Last edited:

E TF

Reaction score

One of the Rows.

When I had my dressing room built, I had three sides ringed with wide, shallow drawers for my neckties in which they can all lie long, flat, and visible. This allows not only orderly and protective storage, but also an easy and quick way to view and select a tie from many options.

In this row, from bottom to top: silk Shantungs and repp stripes; then printed neats; then wovens, wool challis, and ancient madders; then, finally, woolen and cashmere ties.

On the other two walls are a drawer for silk and cashmere knits; a drawer for grenadines; a drawer for Spitalfields, Macclesfields, checks, dots, and spots; a drawer for emblematics and clubs; a bow tie drawer; and drawer for handkerchiefs and pocket squares.

From Vox's tumblr

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads