• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to decline invitation to a wedding?

tricota

Reaction score
I think if it was seone you know well in school, give him a call. Try and figure out if he really wants to see you or if he is just being friendly. It is possible, even after 6 years, that he just want you to be there. In which case you should of couse go. If he is just being friendly, no need to go.

Oh, and I agree with everything else, be polite, send a small gift etc.
smile.gif

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Send one of these t-shirts:
bustedtees.6e1eeeaac32d0a21cd69cce169bde8e8.gif

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I declined an invitation to my sister's wedding (her second) by calling her, offering my congratulations, and my regrets that I couldn't attend due to the travel distance.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnapril
I declined an invitation to my sister's wedding (her second) by calling her, offering my congratulations, and my regrets that I couldn't attend due to the travel distance.

you skipped your own sister's wedding, even if it's her second?

Musselma

Reaction score
Second weddings aren't nearly as big of a deal to most people, especially since you've already gotten up peoples expectations that it will end up like your first.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Or you can decline an invite to a first wedding by saying what I said to a slutty, whoreish ex-friend of mine "Don't worry...I'll be sure and come to one of your other weddings..."

killerstyle

Reaction score
if you're truly not close with him anymore, he should understand that you guys went your seperate ways and thats that.

hi-val

Reaction score
It is a person's right to invite you to a gathering. It is your right to accept or decline the invitation for any reason. It is NOT their right to know why or even worse, to ask why. Send your regrets that you cannot make it and express fond wishes for their happiness. Don't make excuses about travel distances, other engagements, etc. You don't need to, nor should you.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't think declining is an issue, but shouldn't the declining party still send a gift?

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will probably only invite my closest friends to my wedding, which will be about 5 whole people. If you haven't spoken much and it is inconvenient to go then just be straight up. If you guys haven't been close because life got in the way then I'd probably go for the free food and possibility of meeting hot chicks if nothing else.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I don't think declining is an issue, but shouldn't the declining party still send a gift?

It's a tightrope. the idea is that the gift is in exchange for your meal and drinks! But if one doesn't go, do they have to send the gift? If that was the case, then scam artist couples could invite 350 people that they only barely know to a destination wedding in The Yukon knowing that none of them will show up, yet they get all those presents anyway!

I say, send regrets, and then send a gift only if you truly regret not being able to go.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
I dont even understand why this is difficult. Check the little box on the invite that says 'I cannot attend' and send it back.

Next time you see him, ask how it went, and say 'ya, sorry I wasnt able to make it, I heard from so-and-so that it was a really great day'

Don't see why that is hard at all.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrDaniels
It's a tightrope. the idea is that the gift is in exchange for your meal and drinks! But if one doesn't go, do they have to send the gift? If that was the case, then scam artist couples could invite 350 people that they only barely know to a destination wedding in The Yukon knowing that none of them will show up, yet they get all those presents anyway!

I say, send regrets, and then send a gift only if you truly regret not being able to go.

I think the gracious thing to do is assume that your presence was genuinely desired. That being the case, I think a gift is called for.

hi-val

Reaction score
From Miss Manners:
Always plan on sending a gift when you accept a wedding invitation. If you can't make the wedding, it's still nice to send a gift, but you won't be committing a major faux pas if you don't. At the least, send a congratulatory card before the wedding

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads