• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to deal with unwanted Christmas gifts

NoNothingGuy

Reaction score
Okay, so we celebrated Christmas with my in-laws yesterday. My father-in-law is a very well dressed man, but he tends to buy me things that are not really my style. He always buys quality things, but he has the habit of walking into a clothing store and saying something along the lines of: "Hello, I am here to buy something for my son-in-law. He likes quality clothing but is a younger fellow, so I need something a little more 'hip.'" That always ends with the owner of the store picking out something expensive and somewhat gaudy. Not over the top, mind you, but just bad enough to where I would not wear it. I have tried to explain to him that I like more traditional styles, but he doesn't really get it. I am thin and fit; I am a long-distance runner. He is rather portly. He equates thin with trendy, so when he sees me in tailored clothing, he just assumes it is different than his own. Anyway, I need to return about $1,500 worth of clothing/shoes that he purchased me, but I don't really know how to tell him. Does anyone have experience with this? What should I do? I just want to add that I love this man, he is the best. He is so generous and tries so hard, which is why this is difficult.

viator

Reaction score
Return it, say nothing, and if asked about it respond that the items didn't fit you?

D Yizz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NoNothingGuy
Okay, so we celebrated Christmas with my in-laws yesterday. My father-in-law is a very well dressed man, but he tends to buy me things that are not really my style. He always buys quality things, but he has the habit of walking into a clothing store and saying something along the lines of:

"Hello, I am here to buy something for my son-in-law. He likes quality clothing but is a younger fellow, so I need something a little more 'hip.'"

That always ends with the owner of the store picking out something expensive and somewhat gaudy. Not over the top, mind you, but just bad enough to where I would not wear it.

I have tried to explain to him that I like more traditional styles, but he doesn't really get it. I am thin and fit; I am a long-distance runner. He is rather portly. He equates thin with trendy, so when he sees me in tailored clothing, he just assumes it is different than his own.

Anyway, I need to return about $1,500 worth of clothing/shoes that he purchased me, but I don't really know how to tell him. Does anyone have experience with this? What should I do?

I just want to add that I love this man, he is the best. He is so generous and tries so hard, which is why this is difficult.

That's what gift receipts are for. If he didn't include it in the box(es) tell him something didnt fit and request the gift receipt.

BlueHorseShoe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by viator
Return it, say nothing, and if asked about it respond that the items didn't fit you?

Ahh, the sneaky maneuver? It's deceptive and the easy way out, but out of fear of offending him, I would recommend this as well.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

+1

NoNothingGuy

Reaction score
No, he did provide the gift receipts. I plan to exchange, and when you exchange one thing it really isn't a big deal but to exchange 2 shirts, a sweater and a pair of shoes, that is quite a lot. I just feel bad.

I guess it is just something that happens every Christmas and Birthday and I feel bad about it. Almost like I want to recommend picking things out with him prior to these gift-giving days.

I am looking for you guys to tell me that it is okay and he wont care.

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Return or donate it.

ETA: it is okay and if he finds out he will not be mad at you.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BlueHorseShoe
Ahh, the sneaky maneuver? It's deceptive and the easy way out, but out of fear of offending him, I would recommend this as well.

+1. I mean, does he expect to see you wearing something thet he bought every time he/yu visit. Just return and say nada.

Sazerac

Reaction score
Been in this position myself.

Here's the thing: keep one of the items, maybe the sweater, and wear it when he visits. My mother in law bought me an outrageously expensive sweater straight of the Cosby Show. Since I usually return everything else, I kept the sweater to wear when she's around. It was the tactful thing to do.

The thing is, he's probably never going to get your style, no matter how hard he tries. So indulge the old fellow with one item.

NoNothingGuy

Reaction score
Hahaha, he lives about a half mile away.

I appreciate the help, thank you.

I will keep the sweater, it is the one thing I can wear from time to time. I will wear it when we go to their house for dinner.

It would be much easier if I didn't like the guy, but he is great. A father-in-law who lives down the street yet respects our space and never pops in uninvited!!!

viator

Reaction score
Also, consider this: your father-in-law did not want you to essentially stuff $1500 into the back of your closet, never to be seen again. Any normal person who buys clothing as a gift understands that the item might not fit or appeal to the taste of the recipient. He wanted you to have some nice things and would much rather you exchange the gifts for things you will actually wear.

D Yizz

Reaction score
You have exactly a year to "educate" him into what exactly do you like. If he's so good with you, and you have enough confidence, maybe you can invite him to shop with you in the summer.

Thrifter

Reaction score
Maybe you can shop together. If he insists on buying you clothing, suggest that you pick something out together.

NoNothingGuy

Reaction score
That is what I am going to try to do. I think this thread has helped me realize that taking him out there to see what i am buying is probably the best way to educate him on my preferences.

BlueHorseShoe

Reaction score
Also, consider this: your father-in-law did not want you to essentially stuff $1500 into the back of your closet, never to be seen again. Any normal person who buys clothing as a gift understands that the item might not fit or appeal to the taste of the recipient. He wanted you to have some nice things and would much rather you exchange the gifts for things you will actually wear.
Originally Posted by D Yizz
You have exactly a year to "educate" him into what exactly do you like. If he's so good with you, and you have enough confidence, maybe you can invite him to shop with you in the summer.
Originally Posted by Thrifter
Maybe you can shop together. If he insists on buying you clothing, suggest that you pick something out together.
All point on. I think the course of action is keep something now, return the rest and get what you like. Thus fulfilling the intent of the gift. Then in a subtle manner, better inform him of your preferences. EDIT: Just saw you said this.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads