• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to Deal With Depression

clubbyjones

Reaction score
I could give you stories, but this study basically explains what I tell everyone who asks:

Overcoming Depression (Babyak et al. 2000)
-156 patients with Major Depressive Disorder
-Three groups (exercise, medicine, exercise + medicine)
-Anti-depressant: sertraline (Zoloft)
-Exercise: thirty minutes (3x a week). Could be running, jogging, swimming, just something aerobic)

Results:
16 weeks later (4 months)
-All three groups improved (>60%)
-No significant differences among groups, except that it took the exercise-only group LONGER to get out of their funk during the first four months. Took about a month compared to a week, but once it kicked in it was just as potent.

BUT

10 months follow-up
-Relapse on medication: 38%
-Relapse on medication + exercise: 31%
-Relapse on exercise only: 9%

Let's be clear, sometimes medication is the ONLY thing that can help. However, exercise seems to do wonders. I'd definitely try exercise and if that didn't help, I'd add in some medication.

Keep us updated buddy!

fiasco

Reaction score
keep your head up... once one good thing falls in place a lot more good things will happen.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Should also point out there are a ton of foods that help fight off depression and vitamin D helps a lot too. If you take Vitamin D supplements try to get ones that have fish oil (ideally Krill) because the fish oil also helps.

cimabue

Reaction score
Originally Posted by clubbyjones
I could give you stories, but this study basically explains what I tell everyone who asks: Overcoming Depression (Babyak et al. 2000) -156 patients with Major Depressive Disorder -Three groups (exercise, medicine, exercise + medicine) -Anti-depressant: sertraline (Zoloft) -Exercise: thirty minutes (3x a week). Could be running, jogging, swimming, just something aerobic) Results: 16 weeks later (4 months) -All three groups improved (>60%) -No significant differences among groups, except that it took the exercise-only group LONGER to get out of their funk during the first four months. Took about a month compared to a week, but once it kicked in it was just as potent. BUT 10 months follow-up -Relapse on medication: 38% -Relapse on medication + exercise: 31% -Relapse on exercise only: 9% Let's be clear, sometimes medication is the ONLY thing that can help. However, exercise seems to do wonders. I'd definitely try exercise and if that didn't help, I'd add in some medication. Keep us updated buddy!
In any case, no quick fixes, right? Also, I wish there was a fish oil component to this study because the stuff works, as mentioned above.

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edinatlanta
Should also point out there are a ton of foods that help fight off depression and vitamin D helps a lot too. If you take Vitamin D supplements try to get ones that have fish oil (ideally Krill) because the fish oil also helps.

I hate to be the dick that asks this, but got a source? I'll probably end up picking some up anyway, as I'm probably super vitamin deficient right now anyway, but would be interested to see the background on this.

As far as dealing with it goes- not letting yourself get in to a hole is the biggest thing. It's real easy to throw a huge ******* pity party and not solve anything. If you can get over that, the rest is dealing with it as it comes, instead of trying to fight your way out of overwhelming depression. Having a goal (I have a boxing match come January) and exercise have helped a ton too. The other thing has been meditation. If things ever get really bad I throw on a lecture by Thich Nhat Hanh and mellow out. It's a temp fix, as it just mellows you, but after a while you get good at learning to step back and chill the **** out.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HgaleK
I hate to be the dick that asks this, but got a source? I'll probably end up picking some up anyway, as I'm probably super vitamin deficient right now anyway, but would be interested to see the background on this.

Here's some stuff
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE64B5OQ20100512
http://articles.cnn.com/2009-11-16/h...s?_s=PM:HEALTH
http://www.webmd.com/depression/guid...ecovery?page=2

Then this:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/vit...ession/AN01543

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads