• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to deal with a *****-whipped friend?

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Live and Let Die.

scientific

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
facepalm.gif
this is not being whipped this is being in a serious relationship. but it sounds like GF will peace out after school at which point you may get your bro back

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i get the ***** whipped part being annoying, but if its more important to be with her then career wise what is it your business? if he truly thinks this girl is for him then i would also rather be with someone if i felt id be marrying them etc. by then if youre not in the same city as him who really cares anyway. she wont be taking away your bro time anyhow.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
he's not a kid. let him be. be a ***** whipped shadow of a man. but its still his life.

Logan

Reaction score
When I read this thread title, I expected Neo to be the OP.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Is this his first serious relationship? Does he generally have a hard time with women, aside from this gilfriend of his? Has he ever confided in you, during his fights with the gf, that he thinks about breaking up with her -- but can't, because he is afraid he'll never find someone else like her?

If so, he may have self-esteem issues, and the only way he's going to learn to respect himself is by letting this relationship live out its natural course, and by falling hard on his ass when it inevitably collapses. There's pretty much nothing you can do to influence the outcome, and I suggest you don't even try; he'll just resent you for it.

It'll be over soon, when she decides she wants to move on without him -- at which point, you and your bros swoop in and help him pick up the pieces.

I had a friend go through something remarkably similar in his early twenties. This is a classic pattern of events that low-self-esteem guys must play out before learning to grow a pair. I know that sounds harsh, but it's a tale as old as time. Don't overplay your hand while he's still in the relationship, as that will only drive him further into his safety blanket (her). Instead, just be there, ready to forgive and forget, when the house of cards comes tumbling down. The true meaning of "bros before hos" will be made manifest to him at that point.

manny44

Reaction score
I seriously don't think your friend is ***** whipped as you put it. I just think he is more of that kind of guy that thinks that everything in this life evolves around love and the person you love.

But don't worry if you really like your buddy, just stick around, he will be back to you soon enough when she dumps him.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Like I said, I've been there with one of my best friends.

The confidence is at least partially a facade. If he were truly confident, he wouldn't be as insecure as he is. The insecurity is forcing him to overcompensate with an outward display of confidence. It's a classic pattern.

He needs to learn to love himself before he embarks on relationships like this one. And the only way he'll learn is through the collapse of this relationship. Expect a long, but hopefully successful recovery period.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let him be.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads