• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to deal with a motormouth

Jekyll

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm the nominal leader of a group, but I have no real authority. One of my groupmates is the kind of guy who you can count on to talk five minutes straight every time he opens his mouth. He's also the kind of guy who could easily turn all passive-aggressive and sabotagey. He's not completely stupid, but he does tend to waste a lot of meeting time. How do I tell him to shut the **** up without turning him against me?

Nereis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can't be the team leader without authority. Put him in his place pronto before he wastes more time on useless trivia.

Calnell

Reaction score
You should probably talk to him individually before or after your group meets. Calling him out in front of the group will most likely cause him to get passive aggressive. If he acts up with you in front of the group after you had a private discussion, then he'll look more like an ass. It'll make it easier to get the rest of the group on your side

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
jeesh... talk to him when you two are alone and tell him some people in the group that you cannot name have come up to you and bitched about his flapping gums.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
After 30 seconds of his talking, feel free to interject to direct the conversation.

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pavlovian reflex development. Every time he talks you assign additional task/responsibility to him. Every time he brings up an issue you ask him to develop metrics or powerpoint presentation on that issue. Once he realises the more he talks the more he has to do, he will start to pace himself fairly soon.

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do we work together or something?

coming from that guy, please dont call them out or be disrespectful. Chances are they dont even realize/cant help it. Its pretty demoralizing as a business professional to have something like that called out publicly. If your peers, and not +/-, you should definatley bring it up, in private, and let them know you appreciate their participation in the discussion, but need that person to back it down a notch as they are monopolizing the discussion. My boss and I used to trade meeting topics ahead of time so he could either respond to me offline or he would be prepared when I would bring something up. It cut down on my need to carry on.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If he won't admit to talking too much himself, say that some of the other guys are too quiet (or have something important to report on) so you'll need his help letting them through.

curzon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Pavlovian reflex development. Every time he talks you assign additional task/responsibility to him. Every time he brings up an issue you ask him to develop metrics or powerpoint presentation on that issue. Once he realises the more he talks the more he has to do, he will start to pace himself fairly soon.

+1

chrisjr

Reaction score

that's rich. if my boss was like that i would never raise issues in meetings.
we have a motormouth here. will take a good 2-3 minutes to explain something that could be expressed in 15 seconds. it's infuriating, and if i'm at my desk i'll usually start working on something else after i've got the gist of what he's saying.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Come to think of it, we have one here too. Easily adds 14 unnecessary minutes to our weekly meeting. She's endearing though. She also is well aware she talks alot but doesn't bother trying to censor herself.

roastduck

Reaction score
Either talk to him in private about it, or let him go for about 30 seconds before you ask him (tactfully) to make his point.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads