• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to cook fish?

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suck at cooking fish. Any advice? You can recommend a fish, or base your suggestions off what I've often got at home (individually frozen tilapia filets). Thanks.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
How to cook fish? Delicately.
For your individually frozen tilapia filets, I would let them run under cool running water to thaw out. Let them come to room temp, and season them with salt. How much? I dunno. However much it takes. If you must use pepper (I don't), use white pepper. Please don't use black pepper on a fish like that.
Warm a steel or cast iron pan on heat that is just under medium. Allow the pan to completely come to temperature. Add 1/2 a tablespoon of oil and 1/2 a tablespoon of butter. Give the fats a minute to come up to temperature. Make sure the fish is relatively dry. Add the fish in by holding one end and placing it facing away from you, so the oil doesn't splatter. Let it cook for a minute or so, then tip the pan and use a spoon to spoon the butter on top of the tilapia. It should be cooking gently enough so that the bottom isn't getting brown before the top is finished cooking. Maybe you want to just flip the filet, who knows. I find that frozen fish that has been thawed has a tendency to fall apart, so I try to move it the least amount possible.
Remove the filets from the pan and pat the extra grease off of them. Should be good to go now. You want to cook the filet all the way through, unlike salmon or tuna. But still be careful to not overcook it.
If you want a sauce, just make a brown butter. Add butter to a moderately hot pan and watch it closely. As the milk solids cook, they become brown and the sauce gets a beautiful nutty flavor. Finish it by adding lemon juice or a fresh herb, like sage.

Now, honestly, most white fish I would recommend cooking sous-vide for the beautiful flaky texture, but that probably isn't doable for most home cooks.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tilapia. Thaw it, bread it (flour --> raw scrambled eggs w/ milk --> panko breadcrumbs), fry it in one inch of oil in a cast-iron pan. When done, set on cookie rank to drip and sprinkle with Old Bay seasoning.

Eat while still very hot.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Now, honestly, most white fish I would recommend cooking sous-vide for the beautiful flaky texture, but that probably isn't doable for most home cooks.

elitist

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
elitist

Dude try it. I know you're just joking, but you should do it. Get a decent halibut filet--- maybe 4 oz. Put it in a ziploc bag with a nice, fruity olive oil, and 3 grams of lemon zest. Season it lightly (not as much as you would when cooking in a pan). Drop it into a 150 degree Farenheit water bath for 9 minutes. Pull it out and tell me that it isn't a perfect piece of fish.

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, KWilk. Will attempt.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Kyle- Any recs for a small little dinner i can cook for the mrs with 2 frozen mahi filets she picked up from whole foods yesterday? I have a spice rack with like 20 things on it, pepper and sea salt to grind, and can get some **** (if cheap) if needed. Wondering for recs on cooking it and maybe a side to make with it as i've never really cooked fish before but i know she wanted it. I have access to a whole foods right near me if that helps with little knick knacks i'd need, although can't really spend a ton. Don't have a grill or a gas range (the only thing i dont' like about our new place).

I trust your food advice and would like to make the dinner taste good.

lpresq

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
Kyle- Any recs for a small little dinner i can cook for the mrs with 2 frozen mahi filets she picked up from whole foods yesterday? I have a spice rack with like 20 things on it, pepper and sea salt to grind, and can get some **** (if cheap) if needed. Wondering for recs on cooking it and maybe a side to make with it as i've never really cooked fish before but i know she wanted it. I have access to a whole foods right near me if that helps with little knick knacks i'd need, although can't really spend a ton. Don't have a grill or a gas range (the only thing i dont' like about our new place).

I trust your food advice and would like to make the dinner taste good.

Keep fish simple!! Sear on med-high heat (1-2 min per side) and let rest. Use a bit of salt and fresh herbs.....a dash of lemon juice to finish.

Btw, Kwilk made an excellent point: Make sure the fish is as dry as possible when adding to the pan. Also, dont mess/move the fish around while you're cooking it.

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Amazing threads. Will try. We should have an offical cooking recipe thread going....

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
How to cook fish? Delicately.

Excellent advice.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dashaansafin
Amazing threads. Will try. We should have an offical cooking recipe thread going....

I have one for dolphins and other cute animals going in DT right now.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.2%

Forum statistics

Threads