Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

how to cook a great meal for my gf (i don't cook)

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by elliottw, Jan 26, 2009.

1. elliottw

elliottw Senior member

so my girlfriend wants me to cook something, and i don't cook. i mean really, i can't cook a thing.
    what's the easiest impressive thing to cook? i'm thinking some sort of meat that tastes really good on its own like a rack of lamb or something.

thoughts? i need sides, desert, drink, how do you pair those things? by ethnicity?

2. Ludeykrus

Ludeykrus Senior member

I think chicken or shrimp alfredo with a side of garlic bread, a salad, and maybe steamed veggies are really easy and impressive. Pair with wine of both your likings

3. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan White Hispanic

Quick & Dirty:

Shrimp scampi is ridiculously easy and takes about fifteen minutes. Butter, garlic (minced in a jar if you want to be easy, mince fresh cloves yourself if feeling ambitious), scallions (chopped up), cheap white wine, shrimp (prepeeled of course). "Stir fry" in pan on stovetop until shrimp are white and opaque. Works well over angel hair pasta with some parmesan cheese, you can also finely chop some parsley as a garnish. Will cost about $30, at most, for ingredients (costs about twenty dollars here).

Sides: salad in a bag from the supermarket, or if you want to be original, buy some spring greens, chop in tomatoes, walnuts, carrots, maybe raisins. French bread
    Dessert: I have no idea. I always just buy something like those nice ice cream cakes in the frozen section.
    Wine: something white like pinot grigio
    Candles

4. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

Does it have to be impressive? I think you'd be well advised to make something simple and yummy (tacos) than something that will be more impressive if it comes off well but has a higher chance of failure.

5. lynchpatrickj

lynchpatrickj Senior member

Do a seviche. You start a day early so there's no pressure, there's no possible way to burn it, and it goes with lots of things.

6. DNW

DNW Senior member

Want something quick and delicious? Make a pesto, eat with chicken and store-bought fresh pasta. You can start with a salad and end with some store-bought desserts. It's really easy, and your gf will be blown away. The only thing that involves "cooking" here is the chicken. Even that, it's simple. You just have to season the chicken w/ s&p, then brown it in some olive oil, then finish in a 400 degree oven for 20 minutes. Here's a good recipe for pesto: http://rouxbe.com/recipes/118/preview (the pecorino cheese is not necessary)

7. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

so my girlfriend wants me to cook something, and i don't cook. i mean really, i can't cook a thing.
    what's the easiest impressive thing to cook? i'm thinking some sort of meat that tastes really good on its own like a rack of lamb or something.

thoughts? i need sides, desert, drink, how do you pair those things? by ethnicity?

Tell her she is the woman and she should be doing the cooking.

8. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Tell her she is the woman and she should be doing the cooking.

If you have to actually tell her that, you're already in a bad spot.

9. why

why Senior member

Barefoot, pregnant, and in the kitchen.

10. elliottw

elliottw Senior member

thanks for the advice. i know she likes ceviche so if that's easy and non-cook, i think ill go with that. maybe some mojitos as drinks? i know how to make that... now what else goes with ceviche?

11. why

why Senior member

thanks for the advice. i know she likes ceviche so if that's easy and non-cook, i think ill go with that. maybe some mojitos as drinks? i know how to make that... now what else goes with ceviche?

Warm apple pie.

12. DNW

DNW Senior member

i know how to make that... now what else goes with ceviche?

Fish tacos.

13. pajames

pajames Well-Known Member

I am constantly amazed by the large number of guys AND girls who haven't got the basic survival skills. Get a Joy of Cooking and learn to make at least one dish no matter how many times you have to try until you get it right. I learned to cook so I could better seduce women and it's done me pretty well. And learn to set a table!!!

14. Kas

Kas Senior member

Carpaccio
    +1 on the pasta, pesto, chicken dish
    White wine
    Crèpes Suzette
    Coffee with amaretto and dates filled with marsepan
    Sex

15. BrettChaotix

BrettChaotix Senior member

remember that scene in Mrs Doubtfire where he orders food from the expensive French restaurant and then sets the table up to make it look like he did all the cooking?

[​IMG]