• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to Convince Girlfriend That Style Matters

Chris Waffles

Reaction score
I am a college senior who just recently got into style, but I'm having a hard time convincing my girlfriend of three years that style and buying quality clothing (things that will last a lifetime rather than a season) are important. Anyone have any tips for putting together a cohesive argument in favor of personal style and buying quality? Thanks!

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chris Waffles
I am a college senior who just recently got into style, but I'm having a hard time convincing my girlfriend of three years that style and buying quality clothing (things that will last a lifetime rather than a season) are important. Anyone have any tips for putting together a cohesive argument in favor of personal style and buying quality? Thanks!
Why do you care to convince her?

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
are you spending her money?
going shopping with her?

Be a man. do whatever the hell you want. if she likes you for you, and assuming you're not radically changing the image of who you are (or are you?), she shouldn't care that much...

anyway, to answer your question? Don't bother explaining your reasons about quality, etc. Just explain that you're interested in looking your best, you think she's so beautiful and you don't want to look terrible next to her, etc. IE I want to be the best I can be and I'll be some eye candy for you too!

Chris Waffles

Reaction score
It's not so much an issue of caring about how she feels about how I dress, it's more that I've been trying to get her to buy quality clothing instead of throw-away items. In past conversations it seems that I have been stuck without an adequate response when she asks the question "why does buying quality matter if I can just buy another shirt/jacket/whatever for less money?"

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not so much an issue of caring about how she feels about how I dress, it's more that I've been trying to get her to buy quality clothing instead of throw-away items. In past conversations it seems that I have been stuck without an adequate response when she asks the question "why does buying quality matter if I can just buy another shirt/jacket/whatever for less money?"
Are you trying to be her stylist? Let her dress herself how she likes. If the way she chooses to dress is an issue for you move on. If she doesn't know by now why buying quality items is a good idea...what makes you think anything you say will matter? For many women, having MORE is "better" than having fewer higher quality items. Depending on her lifestyle, it may very well be true.

yjeezle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
can't change the girl man... you just gotta accept what you've got.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Do you give your girl quality dick?

If so, she won't make too much of a fuss. Do your stylish thing. She'll still like you. If not, be careful how eccentric you want to get with your clothing choices.

In the end, all that matters to her is how well you throw down.

SeanathonHuff

Reaction score
'The world is not a meritocracy. People judge others based on appearance & presentation.'

If she doesn't understand your drive to cope with those facts by purchasing quality clothing, she could very well be an irrational person.

Monaco

Reaction score
Why would you try to present argument points to get your girlfriend to be more stylish? Either she is open to new things or she isn't. I've tried to talk an old girlfriend into being more open to new styles but she liked being simple-we didn't last.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
men are practical, they're focused on durability, quality, timelessness, functionality. We buy stuff to last that goes with everything.

women are about fantasy, they're interested in costumes, fashions that come and go. they're completely impractical.

venus and mars.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's always the ones who are recently into style that are the most judgmental. Girl should leave OP. If you want to dictate how one dresses, buy a Barbie doll.

Desi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^this

buy her some fashion magazines you agree with and leave the page open to something you think she should try? lol

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
wouldn't be able to be with a woman who dresses poorly.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
wouldn't be able to be with a woman who dresses poorly.

PLus one. Doesn't mean she has to be a fashionista but I can't tolerate atrocious style.

Allen

Reaction score

I really have no idea when it comes to women's clothing, however I've been talking to a girl on this matter. We recently attended a cocktail party together. She asked me what I was going to wear and I said "my usual"(aka black trousers, gray sportcoat), then I asked her the same thing. She was having a dress made for the occasion. She explained: apparently, a man can wear a suit over and over again without people even noticing, but if a woman wears the same dress for say... three times(in a relatively short time period) in the same circle, well... people judge.
We do have certain advantages when it comes to clothing. Another example would be that, at a black tie affair, women will worry if someone else wears something slightly similar to their attire, while we know perfectly well that most people will be wearing the same thing and we don't give a damn.
That way we can invest in better quality, less quantity.
Sorry if my post gets somewhere in the "too long to read" category.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Forum statistics

Threads