• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to clean velvet blazer?

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ah, my friend, the news is not good.

I wore a pair of velvet trousers the other day that a rather clumsy waiter managed to anoint with some sparkling water. Not much, but enough to leave marks. I took it to the dry cleaners today and the lady behind the counter pursed ******** and said once it had got wet and the nap flattened, it was difficult to recover.

She said she'd try her best after dry cleaning by using a proper velvet brush to restore the nap, but she wasn't optimistic.

rssmsvc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would a brush like those used on suede shoes be able to store the nap.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by laxnate
I recently got caught in a down pour in a velvet blazer. When I got home I hung it up to dry but now it has rain drop looking marks on it. Any idea how to get these out?
A few spots may be reparable. Any more than that and you might as well toss it in the washing machine. At least you'll have a cool looking washed velvet blazer. rss: I don't believe so.

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try a little hair dryer on the damaged parts. On my velvet clothes, it makes them "spring up" again.

!luc

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A good, tailor's brush might help . . . you may want to toss the jacket into your dryer on air fluff, for an hour . . . see what happens. Cover the buttons, first. When I'm caught in the rain, minus an umbrella . . . I turn the jacket inside out.

Gentleman8

Reaction score

I wasn't aware that velvet was so sensitive to water..

What would you wear a burgundy velvet jacket with?

Also would anyone have any idea where I could buy velvet trousers online? I googled it but didn't find anything..

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Good News!

I got my velvet trousers back from the cleaners today and they are (almost) back to new. One tiny spot remains but nearly all the rest of the nap was restorable.

It required a fair bit of brushing with the special velvet brush though, apparently!

So I suggest to the OP that a good dry cleaning and brushing is in order. Don't give up hope completely!

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm happy for you, Holdfast! I have an excellent tailor's brush, that's quite good on velvet. It has metallic 'bristles.' Available at Vermont Country Store. Marvelous for all, nappy garments.

f00753_dt.jpg

charliesierra

Reaction score
I found a low cost black velour blazer at Burlington Coat factory a few years ago made by "Machine" clothing. I bought two at the low price of $30 each, US. One has a small crest over the breast pocket area. Nice fit and it's cool that the sleeves are a touch longer than average which is perfect for me. I regard this as a casual wear item and like wearing them with jeans (currently Levis authentics, low rise boot cut, also cheap but look good). Paired with some pointy toed cowboy slip ons or my shiny Skecher Regulators and I'm set. Satin shirts look good for contrast with the velour, black is nice, as is silver. guess the best thing would be to carry a plastic bag big enough to hold the jacket in case of rain.

ChrisLiu

Reaction score
Like the OP I recently got some rain on my Emporio Armani velvet blazer. Little rain dots ALL over it. I took it to the cleaner, got it back and the dots where still on them. I took the jacket back, and explaned that I would very much appreciate them to take more care of my 1200$ jacket, I also got it back with a button missing. Im going to pick it up tomorrow, we will see what happens...seeing that "laxnate" did not respond with a positive message I will take it my situation is quite dire.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads