• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to clean the inside of your pant cuffs?

dan'l

Reaction score
I've been a lurker for the past several months and decided to finally join with my first question!

I've searched high and low in the archives for enlightenment on my issue with no results. The question is a bit silly, but how do you guys keep the inside of your pant cuffs clean? I've had cuffed pants in the past but was always irritated by the tendency of them to trap lint, sand, etc. inside. Do you guys just try to turn them inside out to clean them? This doesn't seem so easy, since after time the stitching that keeps the cuff in place may start to unravel, especially when trying to wedge a lint brush in there.

I seem to recall seeing something in a tailoring book that in the past, pant cuffs were actually buttoned in place so that one could unbutton them to clean them out. I tried doing that to a pair of my own slacks with snap-buttons but the effect was less than desirable.

Mr.K

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have always just turned them inside out and used a brush to clean them. It works good to get the dirt that gets trapped in them over time.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
dust buster

Karl Matthews

Reaction score
This is a common problem. I tend to snip the small stitch that holds up the cuff. Open them up and simply brush away any bits that gather there. Once this is done you can use Sellotape rolled around the hand in a blotting motion to remove anything a little more stubborn. It is a very minor bit of sewing to put the cuff back. simply tac them up through the outer and inner seams making the stitch invisible.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is something I have never thought about.
lol8[1].gif

tonythetailor

Reaction score
Whisk Broom

officeboy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Karl Matthews
This is a common problem. I tend to snip the small stitch that holds up the cuff. Open them up and simply brush away any bits that gather there. Once this is done you can use Sellotape rolled around the hand in a blotting motion to remove anything a little more stubborn. It is a very minor bit of sewing to put the cuff back. simply tac them up through the outer and inner seams making the stitch invisible.

Snip, but then do this.

ridefar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by officeboy
Snip, but then do this.

So I have seen this on Tom Ford suits. Is this a TF pant? How common is this technique? Anybody know?

dan'l

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master Squirrel
Shop Vac

Originally Posted by ter1413
dust buster

I hadn't thought about using a vacuum cleaner or a dust buster. However, it seems like a bit of a hassle, hauling it out each time I want to brush off my slacks.

dan'l

Reaction score
Originally Posted by officeboy
Snip, but then do this.

Oh, this looks great! I'm not sure if I have the confidence to do it myself and would rather ask a tailor to do it. I wonder how they look when they are buttoned up, though. Do the cuffs tend to bulge outwards due to the button?

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a bit obvious surely? Just turn them down brush them out occasionally - hardly brain taxing.

Ambrosi makes trousers whose cuffs/turnups are buttoned which is a helpful gimmick but far from essential. Doubtless others would copy if asked: Speak to your tailor.

officeboy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ridefar
So I have seen this on Tom Ford suits. Is this a TF pant? How common is this technique? Anybody know?
Fairly cheap nordstrom flannel pants. I don't think it's very common, but I am far from the right person to answer that, I do know that I've never had a tailor offer or suggest it.

Originally Posted by dan'l
Oh, this looks great! I'm not sure if I have the confidence to do it myself and would rather ask a tailor to do it. I wonder how they look when they are buttoned up, though. Do the cuffs tend to bulge outwards due to the button?
It was pretty easy to do myself, took an hour or so while I was watching a movie. They don't bulge and I don't think you would ever know.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics