Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

How to clean the inside of your pant cuffs?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dan'l, Apr 17, 2011.

1. dan'l

dan'l Senior member

I've been a lurker for the past several months and decided to finally join with my first question!

I've searched high and low in the archives for enlightenment on my issue with no results. The question is a bit silly, but how do you guys keep the inside of your pant cuffs clean? I've had cuffed pants in the past but was always irritated by the tendency of them to trap lint, sand, etc. inside. Do you guys just try to turn them inside out to clean them? This doesn't seem so easy, since after time the stitching that keeps the cuff in place may start to unravel, especially when trying to wedge a lint brush in there.

I seem to recall seeing something in a tailoring book that in the past, pant cuffs were actually buttoned in place so that one could unbutton them to clean them out. I tried doing that to a pair of my own slacks with snap-buttons but the effect was less than desirable.

2. Mr.K

Mr.K Senior member

I have always just turned them inside out and used a brush to clean them. It works good to get the dirt that gets trapped in them over time.

3. Master Squirrel

Master Squirrel Senior member

4. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

dust buster

5. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Boxercise Toughguy

6. Karl Matthews

Karl Matthews New Member

This is a common problem. I tend to snip the small stitch that holds up the cuff. Open them up and simply brush away any bits that gather there. Once this is done you can use Sellotape rolled around the hand in a blotting motion to remove anything a little more stubborn. It is a very minor bit of sewing to put the cuff back. simply tac them up through the outer and inner seams making the stitch invisible.

7. MBreinin

MBreinin Senior member

This is something I have never thought about. [​IMG]

8. tonythetailor

tonythetailor Member

Whisk Broom

9. officeboy

officeboy Senior member

This is a common problem. I tend to snip the small stitch that holds up the cuff. Open them up and simply brush away any bits that gather there. Once this is done you can use Sellotape rolled around the hand in a blotting motion to remove anything a little more stubborn. It is a very minor bit of sewing to put the cuff back. simply tac them up through the outer and inner seams making the stitch invisible.

Snip, but then do this.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. ridefar

ridefar Active Member

Snip, but then do this.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

So I have seen this on Tom Ford suits. Is this a TF pant? How common is this technique? Anybody know?

11. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Fill with coke and call Charlie Sheen.

12. dan'l

dan'l Senior member

Shop Vac

dust buster

I hadn't thought about using a vacuum cleaner or a dust buster. However, it seems like a bit of a hassle, hauling it out each time I want to brush off my slacks.

13. dan'l

dan'l Senior member

Snip, but then do this.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Oh, this looks great! I'm not sure if I have the confidence to do it myself and would rather ask a tailor to do it. I wonder how they look when they are buttoned up, though. Do the cuffs tend to bulge outwards due to the button?

14. GBR

GBR Senior member

It's a bit obvious surely? Just turn them down brush them out occasionally - hardly brain taxing.

Ambrosi makes trousers whose cuffs/turnups are buttoned which is a helpful gimmick but far from essential. Doubtless others would copy if asked: Speak to your tailor.

15. officeboy

officeboy Senior member

So I have seen this on Tom Ford suits. Is this a TF pant? How common is this technique? Anybody know?
    Fairly cheap nordstrom flannel pants. I don't think it's very common, but I am far from the right person to answer that, I do know that I've never had a tailor offer or suggest it.

Oh, this looks great! I'm not sure if I have the confidence to do it myself and would rather ask a tailor to do it. I wonder how they look when they are buttoned up, though. Do the cuffs tend to bulge outwards due to the button?
    It was pretty easy to do myself, took an hour or so while I was watching a movie. They don't bulge and I don't think you would ever know.