• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to clean oil stain on Filson original briefcase

ircfas133

Reaction score
I tried some Tide To Go Instant Stain Remover Pen on the little oil stain on the bag, don't know whether the stain will go away. Any suggestions.... ?

The material is:
Made from 22-oz. 100% cotton oil finish Rugged Twill with 100% Genuine Bridle Leather.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let's not try either. The fabric is oil finished so basically there is nothing you're going to do remove it.

ircfas133

Reaction score
Time to order some baby powder... I guess when it arrives, it would be already too late.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Again, Filson twill is a wax and oil finished cloth. Brushing in a dry powder is going to do nothing but make this problem worse. You clean it the same way you do their other oil treated cloth. You brush it dry to remove loose dirt and wipe it with a damp sponge or rag with nothing but cold water on it for anything else.

ircfas133

Reaction score
Again, Filson twill is a wax and oil finished cloth. Brushing in a dry powder is going to do nothing but make this problem worse. You clean it the same way you do their other oil treated cloth. You brush it dry to remove loose dirt and wipe it with a damp sponge or rag with nothing but cold water on it for anything else.

Wow, thank you so much. Will definitely tried it out.

Why the product description say something like avoid washing with water... Is it because the how the material was treated during production? Thanks!

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
why buy something that's built to last a lifetime, that would look better abused and battered and stained, and then trying to baby it like it's some precious fragile item?

alexSF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

why buy something that's built to last a lifetime, that would look better abused and battered and stained, and then trying to baby it like it's some precious fragile item?

+1

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wow, thank you so much.  Will definitely tried it out.  

Why the product description say something like avoid washing with water...  Is it because the how the material was treated during production?  Thanks!

Well if you soak it with water you'll have to retreat the leather and it would be a good idea to rewax the bag as well. It takes a while to do that. A damp rag or sponge is OK. This type of material is treated during production with a paraffin wax compound to make it highly resistant to water. You don't want to "wash" this out for obvious reasons.

Samantha Ludlow

Reaction score
My husband has a filson hate that my late mother gave him. It got oil all over it and looks very bad. He tried soaking it in water but as you know that didn't work. How can I clean it properly so I can re wax it for him. I would like to do this before Christmas. We don't want another one bc this is the one my mother gave him and she passed six months ago. Please help, it's like oil and mold or something.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did you contact Filson directly? They might have some advice.
Oil stains on leather can be removed by rubbing some baby powder into the stain to absorb the oil.
If the stains are on twaxed canvas, you can sometimes scrape off the discolored wax, then rewax the damaged spot.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads