• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to clean oil from suede shoes? Opinions needed!

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love suede, but I haven't had much luck lately. First, I bought a RL suede jacket and my third time wearing it my sister dropped grilled calamari (in olive oil) on it. I was able so save it by taking it by taking it to a suede cleaner ($50).

On Friday, I was wearing an almost new Edward Green tobacco suede shoes. I think it was the second time that I wore them. I dropped a bowl of humus that splattered on one of the shoes leaving an oil stain (once again, olive oil).

Has anyone had any luck using suede cleaners such as saphir:

http://www.hangerproject.com/saphir-omninettoyant.html

What about just generic suede cleaners like they sell at target. My local shoe repair guy also sells a Lincoln suede cleaner that runs much cheaper (about $6).

Has anyone used these on high-end shoes? Do you think it is worth the risk or should I just bring them to a shoe repair shop for cleaning?

BoomDiggs

Reaction score
You might consider just putting some baking soda on the stain, letting it sit on there for an hour or so, and then brushing it off. I have done this with olice oil on ties before, and it worked great. One particularly bad stain required me to do it twice, but so far it hasn't failed me.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BoomDiggs
You might consider just putting some baking soda on the stain, letting it sit on there for an hour or so, and then brushing it off. I have done this with olice oil on ties before, and it worked great. One particularly bad stain required me to do it twice, but so far it hasn't failed me.

That sounds like a minimal risk and minimal cost plan. I will try that tonight.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
you seem accident prone. switch to work boots.

Fred H.

Reaction score
No. No. No. Get thee to a cobbler immediately. DO NOT screw with these yourself. In fact, I am sad to report, it is probably ALREADY too late to do anything. Suede/oil are a particularly awful combination. Sorry to be the bearer of such bad news!

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
first I'd try the baking soda and leave for an extended period of time and use a suede brush on the nap. If the stain is still there, I'd try the equal parts water and vinegar solution, let marinate and dry, and then use a suede brush.

alexSF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Use a suede rubber and a crepe brush, if it doesn't work try Terre de Sommieres (Available at Valmour) Pics via Depiedencap Forum
avant-1e03fa0.jpg
terre-1e03fbc.jpg
apr-s-1e03fcf.jpg
Use liquid cleaner, or other liquid solution only for last chance.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^^^^^^

I used this on my suede tetburys (thanks to an awesome SF member who sent me some) and I wish I could say it worked...but it didn't.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I covered a grease spot with baby powder as recommended by BNelson. Left it on overnight and brushed it off the next day. Absorbed about 50% of the stain.

Just enough for me not to care anymore.

lefty

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That baby powder thing worked even with ties!

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by a tailor
you seem accident prone. switch to work boots.

+1

the saphir suede cleaner is good .. might work

also you could just coat the whole shoe in obenauf's LP and call it beeswax suede

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone know how to get salt stains off of a pair of desert boots?

lefty

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the helpfl input everyone. I let it sit overnight with baking soda. This morning befor work, I brushed it for a few minutes and it seems to have taken 90% or it off although I can't say for sure as I did not have time to brush all of the powder off. To be honest, I really couldn't tell where the original stain was. I guess I should have taken a picture before...

I covered it in another layer and left for work. Tonight I will spend some time brushing it out and seeing where it stands. Thankfully the stain was no way as dark as the one posted above. It was olive oil afterall and not grease. Still, the suede was light enough to show it.

Dean Keaton

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
Anyone know how to get salt stains off of a pair of desert boots?

lefty

Try vinegar with water. Always worked for me.

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Salt, Olive Oil and Balsamic vinegar is a combo made in heaven. Just mop up with some Crostini.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics