• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to chose the proper size for pants?

YourStallion

Reaction score
This isn't something I really learned. I always have pants that are two long, or don't fit right, they even end up ripping in the crotch because I just don't have them properly fitting. How do you do it?

Hand Tailored

Reaction score
How old are you?

If the legs are too long, hem them. Hemming is actually really easy. I blind-hem my own pants by hand... but many sewing machines have the feature already on them.

If the crotch is ripping, it could be for many reasons. You will have to tell us if the rise is too high or too low? Which ever it is, just buy pants that are the opposite.

If you can't find any pants, you might have to have them tailor-made... but I can only imagine how spendy that would be!
redface.gif

HT

YourStallion

Reaction score
I'm 23.

I guess the pants would be low. I'm just trying to figure out how to get the best fitting pants. As well, how are pants supposed to be wearin to show "highly successful person". In the past all I did was go to the store, Put on the pants, and if they "fit", I'd get'em. And by fit I mean just around the waist. After that I'm at a loss.

Leaveitothexperts

Reaction score
Well the right lenght is a matter of hemming and is dependent on how much break you like and what the pant style is; the more tappered the less break, imho.

when you try pants it should fit around the waist properly. I usually like mine to be a tad loose, just enough that can easily be taken care of with a belt. Be sure to leave room for tucking in a shirt, the best is to go wearing a shirt to try it on. Then you have to feel the seat. Once you wear the pants try and sit down. You should not feel cramped by the pants (like the feeling of newly washed jeans). Then stand up and look in a mirror around the groin area, does the pant form a weird "v" shape? It should not, Try placing your hands in the pocket, they should be smooth. Check that the side pockets don't pucker.

The reason you have ripping may have to do with your unique shape and the balance between your waist and size of thighs. Like someone said, if you find that you still cannot get a good fit you may need to get one tailored . . .

I'm sure others will add more . . ..

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
the most common reason for a ripped crotch. then a trouser meant to be worn on the waist is worn on the hip instead. dress trousers are not to be worn on the hip like low rise jeans. trousers should be worn above the hip bone at the small of the waist. its the protruding hip bone that holds the rtousers up.
to get a proper fit disreguard the waist size. pick the trouser that fits through the seat, then if the waist is too large or small have it altered.
when pattern work is done either custom or mtm the seat measure is the base measure for the pattern the waist is then adjusted as needed.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads